Jungle training axed as Belize base shuts

Discussion in 'The Training Wing' started by SOLO, Dec 16, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. British infantry will no longer receive top level jungle training after the Ministry of Defence has made the surprise announcement to mothball its base in Belize as part of cost savings.
    The departure of 3,000 troops a year who go through the tough training has also led to fears that the Central America country will be more vulnerable to foreign invasion similar to the incursions by Guatemala in the late 80s.

It is also unclear whether Lord Ashcroft, the former Tory party deputy chairman, who has vast business interests in Belize, has been consulted over the closure of the British Army Training Support Unit Belize (BATSUB).

It is also understood that the Ministry of Defence has given serious consideration to closing its sovereign bases in Cyprus, where it has airfields and listening posts, but was persuaded not to by the Americans.

Already the Army has withdrawn the country’s main emergency air evacuation by stopping its helicopters responding as an air ambulance for the local population.

But the final withdrawal of British forces, which have been in Belize since it gained independence in 1981 when it was known as British Honduras, has been signalled by the reduction of the training base from 70 soldiers to a skeleton staff of less than 10 soldiers.

Jungle training axed as Belize base shuts - Telegraph

2. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

About time they defended themselves!

3. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

No money or no need? I did object to the lad who claims you get less chance to do AT now than before. When was before precisely? I got 2 weeks snow queen in 1982, 5 days in jasper in 1986. That was it!

4. terroratthepicnic

terroratthepicnic LE Reviewer Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Runners

3 Para obviously weren't doing jungle training in Africa recently then?

I doubt Jungle training has been axed, it's just been moved to a different location.

5. Would I be correct in saying the school in Brunei is and will still be open for business?

I can't see the Sultan agreeing to BGB being closed down...he is too paranoid ablout his gas.

6. Caecilius

Caecilius LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

He pays for it anyway.

7. He pays for the Gurkhas and supporting staff, but not any regiments comming through for training.

8. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

As the video explained its moving thats all!

9. yeah I heard about this a couple of days ago, never got there ... got to the Falklands (twice) instead ... I have no doubt that FI was certainly MORE fun!!

Do they have a CRAB & SPROCKET in Belize?

10. Too bad--a great training facility.

11. the thought of never goin to the rose garden again actually makes me a little upset

12. wedge_cadman

wedge_cadman War Hero Reviewer Book Reviewer

My annual holiday will never be the same again without a group of young bucks drinking to excess out on San Pedro

13. What I read from the article was that the school will exist but will not train our troops; the instructors will be keeping up their skills with a view to re-open when there's more money. I assume jungle training in Brunei and so on is still going on for Ghurkas and the SAS and so on, so the article's a bit exaggerated.

14. If Brunei is available and has a full battalion there, why not consolidate jungle training there?
    Apart from the distance!

It is also understood that the Ministry of Defence has given serious consideration to closing its sovereign bases in Cyprus, where it has airfields and listening posts, but was persuaded not to by the Americans.[/QUOTE]

I wonder why?? I read a good book on GCHQ recently! It was suggested before!