Jungle Juice

Discussion in 'The Lamp and Sandbag II - The Tall Story Strikes B' started by exbleep, Sep 8, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Anyone remember the old lemon or orange powder (well, more like crystals IIRC) that we used to get? Absolutely horrible stuff but would, nowadays, probably be called an Isotonic drink.
    I remember in Cyprus, after doing a 10 mile bash over the boondocks of Pyla ranges, being given a mug of this powdered drink and it tasted absolutely brilliant. Like nectar of the Gods and felt ice-cold and brilliantly refreshing. After the sweat-down, had another drink and it tasted absolutely bloody horrible. Warm, sickly sweet with lumps in. And this was from the same urn.
  2. Screech :D
  3. Screech indeed, very good for cleaning toilets with.
  4. Bugger, I thought this was about strong drink made with coconuts and raisins :(
  5. The other day the young lady opposite me offered me a health drink laced with vitamins - her words. On enquiring as to the exact source of this drink she showed me the container - SCREECH.

It's all about the presentation.

The young lady next door was eating oatmeal biscuits so I had one of those as well and the '70's and '80's came flooding back.
  6. old_fat_and_hairy

old_fat_and_hairy LE Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Ah, screech! We used in by the pound in Borneo,. Mix that with the purifying tabs in your water and you had a drink that was fit for.................well, nothing. It still tasted foul. But when served in the cook shed, it somehow worked and was almost pleasant.
  7. Were you in a time machine? 8O
  8. Nope - in a flood of nostalgia :D
  9. Lemonade crystals! What happy memories...... in BAOR in the impoverished '70s, our diet at home was supplemented with Compo rations, believe it or not! When Father came back off exercise his driver would drop him, his kit and boxes of (10 man?) rations off - apparently they couldn't return part opened boxes so any unopened boxes would be opened at End-Ex.

Jungle Juice was one of the delights, as was condensed milk, cheese possessed, jam strawberry, oatmeal blocks, boiled sweets - fantastic. School summer holidays for brother & I were spent camping at the bottom of the garden in Fallingbostal and living on compo!
  10. LMAO
    You will be pleased to hear that having just rejoined, the rat packs may have improved somewhat but still have a certain class of their own. We were issued with 2 24hr rat packs for the weekend one was an older version and still had screech/ screech equivalent (wonderfully out of date of course :roll: ) and the other had Lucozade isotonic powder (which tasted remarkably similar on the CFT later :lol:

Biscuits Arrsehole Bungs are still there as are my personal favourites; Biscuits fruit. :) Although, as a main meal, the chicken with herb dumplings are absolutely gorgeous!

The chocolate bar had a certain sousance all of its own which was explained by being four years over its 'best by' date. Nice to know that SOME things haven't changed whilst I have been out.

My step son loves my unopened leftovers and takes great delight in selling rations to his mates at school; the era of austerity is upon us again LOL
  11. ancienturion

ancienturion LE Book Reviewer

Lemon crystals, orange crystals, - and salt tablets!
  12. My Bold

Liar Liar, pants on fire.
  13. This 'screech' of which you speak, does it have a powerful astringent effect? The Australian issue stuff certainly did. Add as much sugar as you liked, your mouth still felt like one of those Bronze Age mummies they find in peat bogs occasionally.
  14. Do you mean - "Did it leave your mouth as dry as a nun's cnut?"

Yes - and with a lingering after taste!