Jungle field clothing / uniform recommendations

Shorts in the J are an open invitation for tropical ulcers, leeches and all manner of other nastiness.
Locals survive , in Indonesia liquid paraffin on your feet kept leeches away, otherwise those little fcuckers will get in your boots what ever.

Locals survive , in Indonesia liquid paraffin on your feet kept leeches away, otherwise those little fcuckers will get in your boots what ever.
True with leeches, but tropical ulcers caused by infected skin lacerations are more of a problem, and not protecting your limbs is an open invitation. Prevention is always better than cure.

Sarastro

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Might as well relay some hilarious eBay finds:

"Operator" trousers....with a 46" waist.

Might as well relay some hilarious eBay finds:

"Operator" trousers....with a 46" waist.

I'm sure his Marines are proud to serve with Captain Creosote.

Sarastro

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Personally I think it's good that Eric Cartman is making something of himself.

The above pic got me thinking, is a ubac top suitable Vs jungle shirt for long term use when it comes to constant over the head removal against popping buttons like superman.

Boots- I use US Panama Sole pattern Jungle Boots. Originals, not copies. I have one pair in retirement (gonna burn them as they don't deserve the bin), one pair in use and 2 brand spankers which should see me out. I managed to source the new ones in the US the other year and someone brought them out for me- they are getting more and more difficult to obtain. Copies don't have the same rubber compound and don't last in the climate. I can source Thai Army JBs but they are very heavy in comparison.

Trousers- I have a pair of MTP Warm Weather insect repellent treated pants. I also have my old Canadian 1980 pattern green Combat trousers. Both ideal for the climate. the bonus of the Canadian pants is that they have an internal cuff that can be dropped inside the boots to keep out leeches and other creepie crawlies and are not cammo in sensitive areas. Both air dry reasonably quickly

Shirts- I use a couple of polyester/cotton mix long sleeved shirts that I have used for years. Plaid pattern so again not militaristic in sensitive areas. Sleeves down always. Very quick to wring out and dry(ish) overnight. I can also use my old Canadian combat shirt- loose fitting and very comfortable.

Undies- Decathlon breathable boxers.

Sleeping- US poncho liner (have 2) coupled with a Canadian Army flannelette sleeping bag liner for when it gets chilly. Currently I sleep on an air mattress but have my eye on a US Army folding cot.

Old brit army cotton sweat rags around my neck as I prefer the cut down hat, either that or the French/Belgian field cap with drop flap at the rear.
Re. The US Army style cot: You can buy extra large versions which when couple with one of those air fillable sleeping pads is "The Dog's" for a comfy nights sleep in the most uncivilised backwaters.

Bollocks, they are swim shorts and the issued one's are made from canvas which Nelson would have been happy having his sails made from. They chaff the aforementioned bollocks if you do not get them a size larger and then wash and tumble dry them to death before wearing.

The boxheads just use their normal kit when they do Belize.

Have you considered IDF fatigues/ combats? Basically a shirt and workpants in a vaguely OG/ brown colour, readily available on line, hard wearing etc etc.
While I would thoroughly recommend IDF the "work clothes" uniform for hot and arid climates, I've no idea how it would hold up in tropical climates. The work clothes are very comfortable indeed - where did you see them on sale? I have never seen genuine IDF clothing on sale except once, in a tiny surplus shop in Hornsey, North London, circa 1977 - genuine IDF paratrooper uniforms in the Froggie camo scheme, complete with Hebrew IDF stamps in black ink (I think the uniforms had been donated to IDF by the French).

rtr1qfii.jpg

While I would thoroughly recommend IDF the "work clothes" uniform for hot and arid climates, I've no idea how it would hold up in tropical climates. The work clothes are very comfortable indeed - where did you see them on sale? I have never seen genuine IDF clothing on sale except once, in a tiny surplus shop in Hornsey, North London, circa 1977 - genuine IDF paratrooper uniforms in the Froggie camo scheme, complete with Hebrew IDF stamps in black ink (I think the uniforms had been donated to IDF by the French).

View attachment 450413
So which one is you...?;)

So which one is you...?;)
Nah mate I was about 7 when this was taken. By the time I was in, IDF had ditched camo uniforms - AFAIK because the PLO infiltrators were using them.
(they had only been in limited use anyway - with the Airborne and the Golani infantry brigades). Can't speak too highly about the comfort of IDF work clothes uniform though.

Nah mate I was about 7 when this was taken. By the time I was in, IDF had ditched camo uniforms - AFAIK because the PLO infiltrators were using them.
(they had only been in limited use anyway - with the Airborne and the Golani infantry brigades). Can't speak too highly about the comfort of IDF work clothes uniform though.
Slightly tongue in cheek, the FALs would date it to late sixties early seventies? So, Six Day War or Yom Kippur?

Latest Threads