Jungian Types

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Tartan_Terrier, Mar 5, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. My colleagues and I had to undergo personality testing in order to better understand each others reactions, and thus improve 'team dynamics' and so on last week.

It was a test based on the Jungian/Briggs system which seemingly divides us all into 16 different personalty types.

I was rather sceptical myself, but even so much of the feedback we got was actually correct (especially for a couple of the other lads who raved about it afterwards).

Once we found out which type we were, we were given a whole load of stuff about that particular personality type, including recommended career paths. I was told that I'd be good in accountancy, management, and law enforcement, or the military. I should have been an officer in the AGC apparently!

Have any of you done this before? What did you think of the results? Were they accurate for you?

Try the test here: http://www.humanmetrics.com/cgi-win/JTypes2.asp
  2. Your links have been 404'd lovey!

T C
  3. Cheers T_C, should be fixed now.

4. According to that test I'm a genus.... gennious.... geanious....dead smart!
  5. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

Interesting TT, I tried the test and the description of my personality was spot on. Jobs were Military and Engineer, obviously ex Army and now an Engineer.

Cheers for that.
  6. Tried it

I am ESTJ

I'd agree with the above. to be honest.
  7. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

Same here mate, no surprises really :D
  8. The web link looks like an unofficial version of the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI). This instrument is based on Jungian psychological theory which states that everyone has certain innate preferences (or default modes) for the way in which they do things/react under certain circumstances. A good way to demonstrate preference is to get a an individual to sign something - unless we are injured or disabled, we all use a "preferred" hand to sign. Then get them to use their other hand. They will probably be able to do this but using their non-preferred hand is more awkward and, if they had to use it constantly they would get better but would find it very tiring. this is the same for our preferenes.

Myers and Briggs were an American mother and daughter team of sociologists who recognised that Jung's theories could be adapted to be of use to ordinary people.

The theory (which is backed by over 4000 academic studies) divides the preferences into four opposing pairs or dichotomies. These are:

Extrovert v Introvert (E & I) which is about where you get your energy from - through interaction with the external world or through interaction with your own inner world
    Sensing v iNtuition (S & N) which is about the sort of information you gather and trust and how you process it
    Thinking v Feeling (T & F) how you make decisions
    Judging v Pecieving (J & P) how you deploy the above (or your approach to life.

I would advise caution on any online testing on the Myers Briggs Type Indicator (which is what we're on about here).

There is a process which is supported by a qualified individual who helps people to discover their own "type" which does not necessarily correlate with the results of the instrument. Once the instrument has been taken and scored, the qualified person then takes each individual (or this can be done in groups) on a journey to explore just what their preferences may actually be. At the end of the day, the process does not seek to put anyone into a box, rather than let them come to the decision themselves as to what "type" best fits them.

There are numerous versions of the official Instrument, designed for various cultures (i.e. there is a version for the U.S., the UK, certain Asian countries, other European countries and, I know that there is a Russian version on the way).

The instrument is widely used in both the public and private sectors world-wide and is used for personal development, team building, conflict resolution, communications and many other. It is not a measure of how good anyone is at anything and should never be used as a basis for selection for jobs (although it can be a good indicator of the type of work an individual may enjoy.

Lots of information out there on the web but treat it all with caution. Lots of books too - just go to Amazon and search for MBTI or Myers Briggs.

I have used it successfully for my own personal development and also use it quite widely in my work. Very useful tool, but remember, it only looks at one aspect of our personality and we are all much more complicated than anything described by a four letter string. :D
  9. I came out as a mastermind (1% of population)

10. Hehehehehe my results were - certifiably unhinged, 100% care in the community candidate - delusions of grandeur ENTJ, who said that?, what me? no.
  11. That just means your a freak of nature not a mastermind :p
  12. ENTJ - the 'Rational Fieldmarshal'. Apparently I'm best suited for jobs including "Management in education" and "the military". Who'd ha' thunk it!
  13. Smartascarrots - Snap!!
  14. Uncanny that. Said I should be a musician.

Started off with nine years in the mob followed by quite a few years in the

Merchant Navy, whilst teaching myself music, finally morphing into a

professional musician in my late forties. Must be something to it :D :D
  15. Be careful of these tests - especially online. I did my Masters in this stufff and it is an area populated by Gypsies, Tramps and Thieves. These tests should only be used for job selection when compared with a battery of other tests.

HMF used to use these ones for AT/ATO selection

However these tests will only ever match you againsta data profile they already have (HMF had the AT/ATO 16PF database). Thes scores are ONLY comparisons and if the population sample for the database is cr@p - so are the results.