Jumping with pins and metal plate in leg...

Discussion in 'The Training Wing' started by jcarver007, Jul 26, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. jcarver007

jcarver007 Old-Salt

Any advice on doing parachute jumps with metal work in ankle - its been in their since around 2001..no problems with doing anything else.
    Any info much apreciated :)

2. Badger_Heed

Badger_Heed LE

I know lots of blokes who broke lower limbs in parachuting accidents, were repaired using plates and pins, recovered and carried on jumping.

No dramas unless the original injury and fixings prevent you from passing fitness assessments and such like.

3. jcarver007

jcarver007 Old-Salt

Thanks Badger Head, I've had no dramas with putting it through other exertions. Cheers

4. nobbyd

nobbyd LE

Quite often a bone "knit" is stronger than the original bone, and you shouldn't have problems. One thing to note is that bone is springy and metal not so much. It's not unknown - but amazingly rare for it to be really noticable - for the metal to bend and stay bent.

Screw placement can be an issue - several in a close area can be a problem. Best have a word with the MO and an XRay to check, but there are plated guys jumping - my old man did most of his service with plates

• Like Like x 1
  5. skid2

skid2 LE Book Reviewer

Acc to the Doc. Plates and pins no problem, they are now the strongest bit in the leg. Its the bits around it you really don't want to wreck.
    Plan B. Just as you're about to hit the deck attempt to take it on the good leg and give the bad one a chance. And risk damaging the good leg, result two fucked legs.
    Of course that advice was handed out nearly 30 years ago when doctors were able to laugh uproariously at patients coming in to ask advice like. Can I do a parachute jump?
    Its quite possible things have changed, but as he finished laughing he pointed out the 'lack of give' in a seriously pinned and plated leg. A hard landing on that would not be a good thing. Really not a good thing.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

6. Badger_Heed

Badger_Heed LE

I've jumped with blokes who have had re-constructive surgery on horrific lower leg breaks.

Once recovered they were given the thumbs up by the med staff, continued in their parachuting role, strapped on all up weight containers and carried on.

If they subsequently damaged themselves again it was invariably down to shite drills upon landing.

7. nobbyd

nobbyd LE

Yep. My old man finished his 28 in '83, so he would have been plated in I think 1960 ,and was back to jumping after an Xray. I seem to recall him saying there was one 10 jumps later for a comparison but it was fine.

Jumping with containers shouldn't make a difference as they aren't carried on landing.

8. skid2

skid2 LE Book Reviewer

Funny I got the impression that was what he was worrying about. He wasn't in the least bit worried about what was going to happen on the way down. It was the landing which concerned him. That and I the fact I'd shown absolutely no interest in flinging myself out of a plane before.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

9. Badger_Heed

Badger_Heed LE

Try landing with one when (on the old system) you only managed to trip one of the hooks.

10. nobbyd

nobbyd LE

Well when things don't go to plan, then it might sting yes. Just like a candle will smart a touch on landing,