Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Jumping from vehicles

Jumping like this was obviously an act of bravado, which if landed badly with kit would result in a broken ankle, limb, disjointing, cartilage tear etc, even possibly disabled somewhat for life.

Troops_of_the_2nd_Monmouthshire_Regiment_leap_from_their_Universal_carrier_during_an_exercise_near_Newry_in_Northern_Ireland%2C_26_April_1941._H9234.jpg

Is this kind of jumping now forbidden, troops being obligated to lower themselves to the ground?

Jumping like this was obviously an act of bravado, which if landed badly with kit would result in a broken ankle, limb, disjointing, cartilage tear etc, even possibly disabled somewhat for life.

Troops_of_the_2nd_Monmouthshire_Regiment_leap_from_their_Universal_carrier_during_an_exercise_near_Newry_in_Northern_Ireland%2C_26_April_1941._H9234.jpg

Is this kind of jumping now forbidden, troops being obligated to lower themselves to the ground?

Don't be silly ....they're in slow motion like the Matrix ..........someone will be for the High Jump though for putting that pic in the public domain.......Careless talk costs lives you know .

I was issued a helmet like that in 71.

Bloke on the left is carrying a spare barrel for the LMG. They did get a tad warm though.

Yeah.... Of course modern troops are jumping out of a bren carrier every day...or you're a stupid Cuñt....
It's one or the other.

But well done for not mentioning Israel

$Deities you ask some dull questions.

Like anything else, the answer is "It depends"

Everyday dismount - don't risk it, get out normally
Under enemy (or Yank) fire, GTFO as fast as you can.

Of course, not sure how many of these tanks (see what I did there?) the Army has these days.

In recce platoon we used to slow the LR down, drop guys off, in case of listening enemy (step forward 3rd Battalion the Fat Grunts).

Always thought it a tad silly myself, especially after our SNCO managed to get tangled up in the back left wheel, shrieking like a girl.

You do realise that the universal carrier was only about three feet tall, so only midgets with osteoporosis would be at any real risk of injury?

This is the 21st century so troops now have such mod cons as a nice armoured roof, a BFO cannon in a turret to provide covering fire and a funky ramp or door in the back to run down or step through.

I'm a never-served civvy c**t and can easily know this so what's your excuse, apart from being the defence correspondent at the Daily Wail?

Or the BBC...

When i read the thread title it came to mind of driving the old TTF tankers on exercises. Imagine trundling along half asleep and you get a knock on your door, or your cupola cover suddenly opens up and an idiot leaps in?
Jumping from truck to truck was scary as a new in green !!!

If it is of use to the OP, I f**ked by left ankle jumping down from a Chieftain. It was parked at the time. It was an ATC away-day. My foot caught in some gizmo on the deck and that was me hanging upside-down over the side with knacked musculature and a total fail at impressing Pamela B***** - again. I was fourteen at the time and hormonally raging. PB was fit as f**k. These days she's probably got saggy tits, a fanny like a bucket and three or four progeny old enough to know better but still at the aft end of hormonal disruption. There's probably at least two fleeced-to-oblivion ex-husbands in her wake so her surname probably doesn't begin with a B anymore.

My right ankle was f**ked in late 2006 when I went arse-over-tip down the stairs on a vessel. We were alongside at the time so it's a bit embarrassing.