Jumpers with Combats?

No - duct tape apparently (not that I'm all that worried). In checking however, I found this:

Surprisingly versatile stuff.

On a jersey note - again, away from the CO and RSM. A number of my chums work in offices the MoD barely bothers its civvy arrse to heat. So frankly anything goes to stay warm and productive. One tells stories of typing in his contact gloves!

jonny3979

War Hero
SamCaine said:
[quote="seanbean]should be darned with a wool of a slighlty different colour.
You mean get one's man to darn ....?[/quote]

Standards!.....tsk tsk.....What are they teaching YOs these days? Bahhh....

By the way VM, you can pop that pic back in the CSM's grot drawer.......oooo.....I am still shivering at the thought!!

cpunk

LE
02FD11 said:
cpunk said:
The short answer is ask your Adjutant. What officers wear has got feck-all to do with the RSM - or your SSM for that matter.
Sorry MOD can't agree. In theory I guess you're right but in practice it just doesn't work that way, as a young Tp Sgt I felt it was my duty as a colleague and I hope friend to educate my even younger Tp Ldrs in their dress sense. I never had to take them 'around the back of the panzer' but I would simply explain to them that if I felt they were improperly dressed or not up to the required standard they would not fall in at the front of the troop on first parade and inspect the men. An extra cup of tea in the mess or catch up on some pen pictures would be more appropriate. I expected high standards of dress and turnout from all of my troop, especially it's leader.
I've only been in the army for 24 years so what the feck would I know? Casting my mind back to the dim and distant days when I was a subaltern, I seem to recall being advised by my fellow platoon commanders on what to wear to work. Thus, for example, weights in the bottom of our lightweight trousers which the RSM was keen on and which were therefore de rigeur for the soldiers were a source of instant extras from the Adjutant (who is, incidentally, now commanding a well known armoured division in Germany). I have to say that any NCO or Warrant Officer making comments about the way I dress is going to get a somewhat frosty response!

Baz44 said:
P.S When I was a Pl Sgt it was customary for the CSM to tell the Pl Sgt of your Fcuk up and for yours truly to take said subbie round the back of the bike sheds for some attitude realignment - my how things have changed in this Army.
Yet again the old urban myth that NCOs were forever beating up their officers round the back of the hanger. In 21 years, I never saw it and never heard of it happening, but I´m not saying I didn´t deserve it on more than one occassion.

Officers´dress is the Adjutant´s business and no one else´s. All that bOllocks about the the RSM writing regtl dress regs on behalf of the CO, therefore incorrect dress is contravening a direct order of the CO (a tautology if ever I saw one) may happen in some cake and arrse units, but it certainly doesn´t happen in proper regiments.

clanker

Old-Salt
Mudfoot said:
Since when has the RSM been able to tell officers what to wear? Adjutant's job. Part of an officer's JD is to dress differently to provide amusement to all and to annoy the Sgts Mess!
Just proves the point RSM`s think they are god, still being able to use a pace stick properly must destroy the part of the brain which makes them remember that they are still, a lower rank to even a Lt.

Sound comment Jorrocks! What it all boils down to is the regiment (and breeding I suppose). In a "proper regiment" this sort of debate would never arise. The adjutant is the sole and ultimate authority, on the COs behalf, on all matters relating to matters of officers sartorial appearance. The RSM, albeit a demi-god in other areas, simply does not figure on the scale.

Jorrocks said:
Baz44 said:
P.S When I was a Pl Sgt it was customary for the CSM to tell the Pl Sgt of your Fcuk up and for yours truly to take said subbie round the back of the bike sheds for some attitude realignment - my how things have changed in this Army.
Yet again the old urban myth that NCOs were forever beating up their officers round the back of the hanger. In 21 years, I never saw it and never heard of it happening, but I´m not saying I didn´t deserve it on more than one occassion.

Officers´dress is the Adjutant´s business and no one else´s. All that balls about the the RSM writing regtl dress regs on behalf of the CO, therefore incorrect dress is contravening a direct order of the CO (a tautology if ever I saw one) may happen in some cake and arrse units, but it certainly doesn´t happen in proper regiments.
Hear, hear.

I, as long as SNCOs & WOs (incl RSMs!) sew creases in their uniforms and cut off their shirt sleeves (for that extra crisp turn-up!), will wear my jersey HW with impunity.

ugly

LE
from a pte soldiers point of view what the ruperts wear is completely up to them provided they dont then try and pull the men for kit on muster parade when looking like they slept in a hedge immediately prior to attending said parade. There was Foggy a really nice education Officer at Shornecliffe in the early 80's who would be a stickler on show parade. His kit was always immaculate and done by himself.
I was asked by my rupert when I had ironed my kit,
Last night I replied.
Why not this morning?
Well after attending breakfast, a mandatory parade, I did my block jobs, then area cleaning leaving me enough time to re polish my boots.
not good enough he replied do better next time.
rupert was wearing a shirt kf that had last seen an iron when centurion was a rank not a tank. My Pln st stared at him and most of the pln barely stifled their giggles.
tw@t was the first thouht in my mind!

Baz44

War Hero
Ah but FAS for those battle hardened vetrens like us we left the Bar at 3am, club at 5am were back by 6am, breakfast for 7am and on the command task by 8 and then did a full days work inc a Div CSS Plan on Sunday :) the lightweights well they went to be at 3am puh! :) And we did extend an invite for you too join us but you politely declined - or was it baled out! :)

Don't do it that often dear boy but when we do - we do it in style as one of your chaps found out that we rescued from himself at 3am- cost him a fortune and I bet he still never let on where he ended up! - had a smile from ear to ear all Sunday though :)

Until the next time dear boy :)

Cheers

P.S Nice JHW though! :)
P.P.S To everyone else why waste your time trying to feck a system your joined up to serve - and you knew the rules when you joined - still if that is you will then play nice! :) - Didn't they teach you anything at the factory - always pays to be on the right side of the RSM no matter who he represents - of course as a Lt you can tell him you are higher in Rank granted and good luck on that one - but in stature oh do get a life!

ugly said:
from a pte soldiers point of view what the ruperts wear is completely up to them provided they dont then try and pull the men for kit on muster parade when looking like they slept in a hedge immediately prior to attending said parade.
You hit the nail on the head there Ugly. Only a complete see-you-next-Tuesday of an officer would bag someone if he himself were not beyond reproach. If it´s a formal parade, even morning muster, then the officer turns up in the correct order of dress and in good order. However, if the officer subsequently is spending the day in the Sqn office writing reports, or planning an exercise or doing a recce etc, then there is no reason why he shouldn´t slip into something a little more comfortable, be it a JHW or his favourite little black number, without a SNCO getting on his case.

ugly

LE
We personally didnt care what they wore, the smartest was a former Rifleman from 1RGJ comished as our pln Cdr but we expected to see them ironed if thats what they wanted from us. leadership by example!

cpunk

LE
Baz44 said:
To everyone else why waste your time trying to feck a system your joined up to serve - and you knew the rules when you joined - still if that is you will then play nice! :) - Didn't they teach you anything at the factory - always pays to be on the right side of the RSM no matter who he represents - of course as a Lt you can tell him you are higher in Rank granted and good luck on that one - but in stature oh do get a life!
I think you're missing the punkt here Baz. An RSM throwing his weight around with junior officers is just as much in the wrong as junior officers lording ot over the RSM. Personally, I would think there was something pretty odd going on in a unit where the CO and/or Adjutant allowed the RSM to issue dress instructions to officers. Other posters have alluded to the perennial urban myth of SNCOs 'sorting out' young officers behind the drill sheds or some similarly dismal location: I've never seen it either and it smacks of a pretty unhealthy fantasy life to me.

ugly

LE
RSMs shouldnt need to grip ruperts, some caustic comments go a lot further!

Rapier

Old-Salt
cpunk said:
Other posters have alluded to the perennial urban myth of SNCOs 'sorting out' young officers behind the drill sheds or some similarly dismal location: I've never seen it either and it smacks of a pretty unhealthy fantasy life to me.
I'm glad you answered that point, as I was going to ask. Would someone risk losing their stripes by striking an Officer and would an Officer allow an assault on themselves or another Officer to go unpunished?

(Especially if the young officer was built like Tim Rodber or Josh Lewsey.) :)

ugly

LE
As I said earlier there are far better ways to grip your rupert than physically. Taking him for a run doesnt always work either. The odd looking ones also always turn out to be either good boxers or have a black belt in something or other. the mark of a good SNCO is surely to mold the occifer to his needs without upsetting the balance he has between himself, his men and the CSM.
Failing that the lads will drop the rupert in it often enough to exasperate him to the point of asking his sgt for help. Plans will work if everyone plays ball.

If it is that cold and you really need to wear the jumper, why not wear it underneath your shirt?

That should confuse the RSM into submission.

Next, grow an inordinately huge moustache and start shouting at random moments. You'll make a name for yourself as a nutter and soon you'll be able to get away with anything. Like sewing a maroon lining into your combat jacket and riding around camp on a horse.

I hope this helps...

ugly said:
...Taking him for a run doesnt always work either...
I can understand why.

SNCO: "Right sir, I'm taking you out for a run to sort you out!"

Offr:"F*ck off sergeant!"

SNCO: "Yes sir, right away sir".

We had an RSM in Kosovo who forbade the wearing of Floppy hats in the summer cos " They are non Regimental. Well after he had the MO and several officers ask him what he thought he was doing, he changed his mind!!
Simply an indication of how mis-guided indivs can get. Look for the important stuff!!

Latest Threads