Jump wings immage ( Not Para Regt )

Discussion in 'Infantry' started by Adam(KOS), Apr 16, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. As above. Can anyone provide me with a decent quality image of the above please, the best I have is not good enough :(
    Many thanks

Attached Files:

2. The Parachute Regiment up to the the mid 1950's was all drawn for Line Regiments. When they finished there tour with the Para's they were often returned to their parent Regiment. When they return they were not allowed to keep their wings but had to wear one of those light bulb badges at the bottom of there sleeve to indicate that they were at one time members of the Parachute Regiment. Now the Officers were allowed to keep their wings and this caused a lot of friction and in the early part of the 1960's all troops that had served in the Parachute Regiment were allowed to keep their wings.
    Now the first badge is a British pair of Para's wings, now whether some one had these made for a dress uniform is any ones guess

3. Thanks for that M8 I agree with you. I'm questioning whether the AB Shop knows this, as I can't see it as being a seller unlike the Pegasus and regular Para's badge.

4. If I can just wade in, I feel there may be a little confusion here

Adam, you have been asked to do some engraving yes ? I am taking it that you have been tasked to engrave a set of jump wings on something, are you asking for a decent image of a set of jump wings ? You however are NOT looking for an image of the Parachute Regiment Capbadge

Am I right in what I have said ? as I feel its got confused and people re providing pics of non para regt jump wings, I find it strange that the airborne shop would ask for an engraving of a light bulb to be honest

5. I'm becoming as confused as you :? Your correct in what has been asked for by the AB shop. The image at the top of this post was an attachment from the email that they sent to me. I have already started supplying them with Para's as we know them BTW. I've done a little Googling and have come up with similar but all non 'British' :(

There is always the possibility that this is a WW2 thing ?

6. Try this:

Attached Files:

7. Thank you to :D What is the proper name of it and is it popular?

8. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

It is "The military parachutist badge (with wings)" and very popular with those that have them (and numerous walts that do not)!

If I were in your shoes I would request a high quality copy of exactly what they want from the commissioning organisation. It puts the onus back onto them, but it is not going to go down too well if you provide a high quality product that is not what they want.

9. Thank you for the info' and advice to which I agree. It also costs me a fair bit to get to the production stage usually with the first couple of attemts getting 'tweaked' untill we've got it right, hence the assistance on here being so welcome. :thumright:
    Here's the Para's.

Attached Files: