July 7th Memorial - Sky/BBC News Coverage

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Bravo2nothing, Jul 7, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Is it just me? I feel completely sickened by this event currently being aired on National TV. Whilst I believe it is all very sad that these individuals lost their lives and many were injured, I can't help but to think that this was all an exercise in Blairism. I believe the flower and the song performed were inappropriate and quite frankly, I wanted to cut my eyes out for watching such bollox.

Why aren't people allowed to express their grief in private? Why has rememberance become an exhibition in politics?

What about the Soldiers who have died this week?

Fcuking disgusted at what this Great Country of Ours is becoming.

Rant over.

Edited for Mongness and fat fingers!
  2. Thank F*** for that Bravo
    Did kinda think I was the only one thinking along those lines
  3. my bold, and my thoughts exactly
  4. I think it was intended to act as a gesture to those who wish to harm us.

A sort of 'up yours, you won't break us!' gesture.

Although i do agree that it does seem to be tainted by blair's lets mourn every loss mentality.
  5. Every loss but those that highlight his dodgy Foreign Policy....

6. ......Except the service people he is responsible for allowing.
  7. B2Nothing, I agree entirely. It didnt seem like a gesture of solidarity, it seemed to me like we were giving the enemy what they want.
  8. Seemed to me that Sky were just cashing in to boost viewing figures
  9. I also agree,complete bollox,I cannot remember any of this shite when the cowardly IRA were busy blowing up pubs and buses in the 70's and as for nicking the 2 minute silence,as stated before that is for Armistice Sunday and should be left alone
  10. Thank fcuk for that, I thought it was just me when the civil servants started 'tut'ing as I used the quiet 2 minutes to compile a weekend shopping list. Out of some deep seated sense of respect for others’ beliefs I kept my trap shut and stifled an “oh, FFS!” when the God Botherer started spouting over the PA. More than can be said for some members of the great British public on the eleventh of November in recent years.

While I appreciate it's a terrible loss to the families involved I fail to see WTF it’s got to do with me. Three and a half thousand people die on our roads each day and we don’t have a national day of mourning for them.

“Events” like this devalue the Act of Rememberance which honours the memory of those who have sacrificed their lives for the common good. What’s wrong, in this instance, of showing a bit of traditional “stoic stiff upper lip” and cracking on with business? Surely that would be a bigger two finger salute than causing further disruption across the country.

Or maybe I’m just another insensitive squaddie with no respect for the sanctity of life blah, blah…
  11. I think it's fair to say that a lot of things like this have come about because of the 24-hour rolling news channels. It allows *everyone* to share in the quote 'national grief' that we all feel and, certainly when events are unfolding at the time, it allows everyone to 'participate' in it. It's almost like people can say 'I was there' because the shock of seeing such images live on your tv create a participant mindset.

Further to this, the level of coverage that comes after these events and on these anniversaries also stems from channels trying to fills hours of largely repetitive news coverage.

I think a memorial is fitting, for the families and those directly affected (some 800 in total) if nothing else, and certainly one year on as that seems to be the new historical benchmark for assessing these things before they're quietly forgotten, but if anything like this occurs on the second anniversary and if the two minutes silence is stolen again, there will be my no end to Outraged of Colchester letter writing campaign.

I am more than annoyed at the laughably solemn attitude newsreaders have taken to this, and how every person who was within 100 miles of London or who knew someone who once went for a job interview near the next tube station over has been dragged in front of the cameras to recount their laughably tenuous tale. :evil:
  12. Maybe the day has been overtaken by the politicians,
    but try and remember that normal people where affected (not soldiers, who might deal with this sort of thing a bit better) and that is what today was really about.

written by someone who has not had to deal with a mangled train and lots of casualties.
  13. Why couldn't those affected and families of victims attend discreet private services rather than have their grief paraded in public and hijacked by the media? I’d quite happily spare a thought for them without having to be instructed to do so by big brother. As it was I was offended by the crass exploitation of the whole situation by individuals trying to out do each other in an “I’m more sensitive than you” competition in the national press.
  14. You dont have to watch the coverage if you do nt want to..........
    Can nt you see past the political bullshit.
  15. No that's what Blair would like you to believe today is all about. I would have been far more interested in hearing about the individual accounts of bravery, compassion and selflessness performed by the numerous individuals who had to deal with the immediate aftermarth of these terrible events. I would have like to have listened to the stories of how the survivors have struggled with adversity to overcome their injuries, whilst receiving little or no help from this Government. The day should have been quietly remembered, not exploited for the opinion polls.