Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Julian Assange

The big issue in the allegations is that one of the women, who admitted to previously having had consensual sex with him claims also that she was awakened by him throwing one up her on a separate occasion, when she had not consented. Which would likely stand as a rape anywhere in the world, certainly in Sweden where they're kinda strict.

Funny enough that doesn't get mentioned much.

What jury would convict on that evidence?

What jury would convict on that evidence?

None. Sex crimes are notoriously difficult to prosecute at the best of times and this case seems very thin even as far as sex crimes go. But the Swedes seem to think that they've got enough evidence to prosecute, so maybe they know something we don't.

Either way, Assange hasn't yet been convicted. They want him for a trial. The trial may well find him innocent.

I suspect that Sweden has a fairly grown up judicial system. If the case is flimsy he won't be convicted and had nothing to fear. If the evidence proves beyond a reasonable doubt that he did it, then he's guilty.

That's how trials work in Western liberal democracies. Generally nothing to fear unless demonstrably guilty.

Unlike say...ooo, I don't know....Venezuela.

Read the law in Sweden, where it is sometimes (not that) jokingly suggested that a man get written consent before doing the dirty deed.

Sweden has an extremely high rate of report and conviction for sex crimes. I'd suggest that they do not have a significant greater number of perverts. They're laws are just exceptionally strict and the penalties harsh.

Nope, not true - the story (as I read it, anyway) was that they initially had consensual sex, she insisted on using a condom. She later woke up to him ploughing her from behind without a condom. Sex with a woman who is unable to give consent is rape pretty much any way you slice it.

Yes, but she's not complaining about being ploughed, simply that he didn't wear a condom while doing it.

Dubbing him a 'rapist' by UK legal standards, and accusing the Ecus of somehow 'condoning rape' is hysterical.

There was a couple diplomat on the radio, a Septic and a Brit. The Septic was in full justice must be served mode, the Brit basically thought it was stupid to lavish so much attention on an obvious tosser. Has a point, Julie obviously enjoys it.

Read the law in Sweden, where it is sometimes (not that) jokingly suggested that a man get written consent before doing the dirty deed.

Sweden has an extremely high rate of report and conviction for sex crimes. I'd suggest that they do not have a significant greater number of perverts. They're laws are just exceptionally strict and the penalties harsh.

Is that because more women are willing to come forward because there are more successful prosecutions?

I believe that we should be strict and the penalties should be severe but I don't believe that the law should be slackened. A rape should be approached in the same way as any other crime and the same burden of proof used. I also believe that the accused should remain anonymous until convicted. That would prevent people deliberately using a false claim to blacken someone's name.

There was a couple diplomat on the radio, a Septic and a Brit. The Septic was in full justice must be served mode, the Brit basically thought it was stupid to lavish so much attention on an obvious tosser. Has a point, Julie obviously enjoys it.

Methinks he only sings when he's winning. And going to Sweden is going to leave him looking like a cock regardless of the outcome.

Either he goes down as dirty dick and has a wee spell in chokey where he'll be talking to nobody, or he doesn't, is set free, not a kick in the arse off being stateless, welcome just about nowhere and with the big, bad USA looking supremely unconcerned. At the same time he'll still never be free of looking over his shoulder for a salty looking dude with a bit of cheese wire.

Yes, but she's not complaining about being ploughed, simply that he didn't wear a condom while doing it.

Dubbing him a 'rapist' by UK legal standards, and accusing the Ecus of somehow 'condoning rape' is hysterical.

Regardless, if she was asleep she was incapable of giving consent. She'd made it clear earlier on that her consent depended on a condom being used - that makes it rape by UK legal standards as well as Swedish, assuming the prosecutors can prove it.

Hmmmm....I'm sure I heard the Horst Wessel song and something like Seig Heil throughout this thread. Silly old me, I thought we put some effort into getting rid of that lot....but here they are!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You should thank Wikileaks for revealing that the US and Afghanstan both said the Brits weren't up to the job and were in fact useless. Too bad for the guys that got the chop out there. With friends like that who needs enemies?

Methinks he only sings when he's winning. And going to Sweden is going to leave him looking like a cock regardless of the outcome.

Either he goes down as dirty dick and has a wee spell in chokey where he'll be talking to nobody, or he doesn't, is set free, not a kick in the arse off being stateless, welcome just about nowhere and with the big, bad USA looking supremely unconcerned. At the same time he'll still never be free of looking over his shoulder for a salty looking dude with a bit of cheese wire.

Hi Biscs - I remember you from some dirty deeds in NI some time ago. Good you see you back!