Julian Assange Gets Asylum

Sixty

ADC
Book Reviewer
I wonder how he's going to get to Heathrow for his flight.
Jet Pack?

I was under the impression that once he stepped outside of the embassy he could be lifted by the police without hindrance as he doesn't have diplomatic immunity.

The whole asylum thing still seems a very odd step to take when you've never actually been charged with anything though.

Will be interesting seeing how they try and get him out of the country.

Guns

ADC
Book Reviewer
FedEx or DHL

The whole asylum thing still seems a very odd step to take when you've never actually been charged with anything though.
He is convinced the US have a sealed indictment against him. There is some anecdotal evidence to suggest they might but it would be very unusual to indict him and not extradite him from the UK (as I've said numerous times).

No doubt the cranks will be along shortly to disagree with me.

An ideal country for him to pursue his search for the truth. 'Corruption, inefficiency, and political influence have plagued the Ecuadorian judiciary...' (Human Rights Watch)

Send him there and let him expose 'the truth'. Twat.

Mr_Fingerz

LE
Book Reviewer
Jet Pack?

I was under the impression that once he stepped outside of the embassy he could be lifted by the police without hindrance as he doesn't have diplomatic immunity.

That was my impression too. Given that he's broken the terms of his bail, I would have thought that every copper and his dog between central London and Heathrow would be keen to give it a go to get him into custody.

Sixty

ADC
Book Reviewer
He is convinced the US have a sealed indictment against him. There is some anecdotal evidence to suggest they might but it would be very unusual to indict him and not extradite him from the UK (as I've said numerous times).

No doubt the cranks will be along shortly to disagree with me.
Yes, I did mention on the other, older thread that he's clearly a very scared individual but as you say, our lot aren't exactly stalwart bastions of refusal when it comes to extradition requests so you'd expect him to feel safer in Sweden.

TheIronDuke

ADC
Book Reviewer
Will be interesting seeing how they try and get him out of the country.
Er, a 40' box can be a 'diplomatic bag' if you say it is a diplomatic bag. So can a caravan although I have never tried to pull that one. Do a Google on the Libyan Embassy bollocks where an innocent copper died and the murderers walked free. Immunity means immunity. If he sets foot on UK soil I am sure special branch will collar him. But he will not set foot on UK soil. He'll go out in a bag.

Or possibly in a jet-ski. By a spooky coincidence, I have one for sale.

TBH I think we'll let him leave, passport stamped "good riddance" on the way out.

Yes, I did mention on the other, older thread that he's clearly a very scared individual but as you say, our lot aren't exactly stalwart bastions of refusal when it comes to extradition requests so you'd expect him to feel safer in Sweden.
I have read in detail the facts of the case (in so far as they are already known) of the rape allegation and it does not seem to me to be a robust case the Swedes have against him. It thus makes even less sense to me why he has not gone to face the allegations. He was never going to get asylum from extradition to the US here in the UK.

Good luck to him in Ecuador, if he gets there.

Isn't it quite a bit easier for the CIA to either kill him or bundle him into the back of a car and then onto a small aircraft to Langley in South America than it is in the UK?

Er, a 40' box can be a 'diplomatic bag' if you say it is a diplomatic bag. So can a caravan although I have never tried to pull that one. Do a Google on the Libyan Embassy bollocks where an innocent copper died and the murderers walked free. Immunity means immunity. If he sets foot on UK soil I am sure special branch will collar him. But he will not set foot on UK soil. He'll go out in a bag.

Or possibly in a jet-ski. By a spooky coincidence, I have one for sale.
A difference is that those expelled from the Libyan Embassy were Libyan nationals who were accredited as diplomats to the Court of St James and were inviolate under the terms of the Vienna Convention.

Julian is a Aussie national currently in the embassy but is not a diplomatic person for purposes of the Vienna Convention. Ecuador could, I suppose, grant him an Ecuadorian passport and seek to have him present his credentials as a diplomat but it is my understanding that a receiving state may refuse the credentials of a sending state so he still would not be a diplomat under international law. Maybe someone on here is with FCO and could clarify.

TheIronDuke

ADC
Book Reviewer
De nada. Now focus.

The rape allegations in Sweden are basically bollocks and would not stand up in court. The allegation that he exposed the Septics underhand political game (and lets face it, any Government would be equally guilty) is the issue here.

Should we know what our 'elected' masters are saying in our name? Or should we be kept in the dark?

I cannot say I like Assange. He strikes me as a creepy little ****. But by God, I will stand by a creepy little **** before I will countenance rendition.

I hope they smuggle him out in a jet-ski.