Juicing...and pulp disposal.

I have been quizzed on ‘Dad’s latest fad', by youngest son who has two of my Granddaughters who are very fussy eaters. He is hard pushed to get them to eat veggies or be in the slightest bit experimental in their meals. They seem reasonably healthy so far but he is a bit worried about their diet. No worries at all about the eldest’s two lasses who are very similar ages and have a very open approach to food and eat a very wide selection indeed.

He has a NutriBullet and has asked me about using that to try and and produce similar smoothies rather than juices. The research I have done would seem to indicate that the high speed reduction is far far thicker. Some nutrients might be destroyed by blending. There are pros and cons for both.
Juicing vs Blending: Which One You Should Give You More Benefits
Juicing vs. Blending – What’s the Difference? | The Whole U
Juicing vs. Blending: Which One Is Better?

The question in my son’s case would seem what would be the most acceptable for my two young fussy eaters to get used to?

My grandchildren were all reluctant to eat their greens, but their crafty parents blended up smoothies and called them 'Hulk' or 'Ninja Turtle' shakes.

Grandkids couldn't get them down their grid fast enough.

The power of marketing.

apart from the one with a nut allergy ?

Are you referring to a real, tree nut allergy, or a imaginary nut allergy that is really to do with legumes?

Good question. There are indeed nutrients that need fat to be fully utilised by the body. Certain nutrients, including vitamins A, K, E and D, and various minerals, are fat-soluble, which means fat must be present for the body to properly absorb them.

It’s supposed to be a good idea to consume a little healthy fat either right before or with your green smoothie or juice. Haven’t sorted out which fat yet.

But, in my case the quantity and variety of vegetables that I am now consuming has increased hugely and at least some of their goodness is being absorbed. Haven’t consciously being trying to lose weight but it’s been happening. In just a week 2.5Kg. Just seem happier with smaller portions, and less booze. Sleeping better too.

Imagination, coincidence, possibly. The weight loss very welcome.

1552295315541.png

What does your shit look and smell like
Having paid little attention to what I eat for many years, not that keen on veggies, but liking the various (expensive) juices I sometimes but at juice stalls, carrot being my favourite, I suddenly decided to buy a juicer.

Did a bit of reseach and fod that slow juicers are supposed to be better. Did some research and found a highly recommended model (expensive). Have rationalised this by not buying expensive juices and somewhat optimistically writing this off over five years, yup personal sell by date is here.

My choice of what to put in was a little random however has turned out pretty tasty...and one feels hopefully healthy. Since I do like carrots those were a given but what else? My recipe has over the past week now pretty well stabilised into the following:-
2 Carrots, 1 small Beetroot, 1 small green Apple, 1 small Pear, five Mint leaves, 1/4 inch finger thickness Ginger. 1/4 inch Turmeric pencil thickness, 1 stalk Celery, 1/2 Fennel bulb, 2 table spoons chopped Kale, 8 Mange Toutes, 1 small Tangerine and 8 Grapes. This I felt was a good mix of fruit and veg.

From this I get 800mls of a delicious dark red juice, with a hint of Mint and Ginger that is quite thick and not that sweet. No single flavour predominates and I certainly cannot distinguish the Beetroot, Kale, Celery or Fennel. A 400ml glass for breakfast and one for before the evening dinner. The juicer I have has 2 screens which gives the choice of more or less pulp in the juice. I go for the thicker pulpy juice.

The immediate side effect is that 1st juice is now my breakfast. Drinking the juice in the evening seems to delay my desire for the evening couple of beers and a Whiskey and soda... or two but I have noticed, has dropped the chaser by one. Dinner is a light one, either a soup or biscuits and cheese as I tend to have a reasonably sized late lunch around 2pm as my main meal.

My Scottish genes always ready to kick in, I was loth to discard the pulp into the flower bed as compost, so what to do with the pulp? In the oven at 120c for an hour, then into the airing cupboard overnight sees it dry. I then reduce either reduce it to powder in the blender for a thickener to soups and stews, or roughly hand crumbled as a mix for putting into meat loaf. Finally as is from the Juicer, for a vegie and fruit pulp cake. I have tried all three and they all worked extremely well.

The soup thickener does not appreciably alter the flavour of the soup just makes it thicker. The meatloaf mix made a really tasty meatloaf which was a huge success. And the as is pulp, went into a cake.

The meat loaf was 1/3 minced Beef 5% Fat, 1/3 Pork mince 20% fat and 1/3 dried pulp roughly crumbled. Added 2 beaten eggs, and I chopped red onion and 1/3rd chopped red pepper lighly sautéed in butter. Added coarsely ground black pepper, salt, Worcestershire sauce, Tobasco and Tomato ketchup. Made into a loaf shape onto a baking sheet then into the oven. The fat does come out of the loaf while cooking and is discarded. Absolutely delicious, even though...

The cake/Bread was a bit more fiddly, but not bad tasting at all:- 1/2 cup sugar- white or brown, 1/4 cup milk, 1 egg, 2 tablespoon butter, 2 1/2 tablespoons honey, 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, 1 teaspoon Vanilla essence, 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves, 1 1/3 cups all purpose flour, 1 1/3 cup juicer fruit/veggie pulp, 1/2 teaspoon baking powder, 1/2 teaspoon baking soda, 1/8 teaspoon salt

Preheat oven to 170C. Grease loaf pan. In a large bowl, combine dry ingredients. in a smaller bowl mix all wet ingredients with a whisk or mixer. Add wet mixture to dry ingredients and add pulp, use a wooden spoon to combine, but don't over mix! Spoon batter into loaf pan and even out. Pan into oven for 50-60 minutes and 170C. Test with skewer. Let cool and then taste. Mine had a texture between a coarse bread and carrot cake. Very filling, one slice does me.

Been amazing to get this much vegetable goodness into my diet on a daily basis, never happened before. The pulp I am assured is good for the intestinal flora and fauna. Been doing a week and do feel better. Eyesight seemed sharper, the first thing I noticed, drinking less booze, sleeping better, and slight loss in weight.

Probably be awhile before I recoup any money, re the juices, but then what price better health?

Lovely post. Is your wife home late again tonight? Never mind, your stools are as tight as an Orangeman's drum.

What does your shit look and smell like
Lovely post. Is your wife home late again tonight? Never mind, your stools are as tight as an Orangeman's drum.

Unlike your seeming scatalogical interests I tend to concentrate on other things.

You have at least got the Irish affiliation correct, the family over there were Prods.

As for my ex, she tends to stay at her place and lets me do my own cooking. You obviously can’t.

the study places both under the term "nut"

The original studies were tree nuts only, eventually peanuts were shown to have many of the same effects. However, even with the name nuts in their name, the are still legumes.

You may be the hybrid that bridges that particular gap.

The original studies were tree nuts only, eventually peanuts were shown to have many of the same effects. However, even with the name nuts in their name, the are still legumes.

From your link-

Overall, the daily nut-eaters were 20% less likely to have died during the course of the study than those who avoided nuts. (Peanuts, which are actually legumes, counted as nuts in this study).

&

You may be the hybrid that bridges that particular gap.

well its better then being American....

From your link-&
well its better then being American....

The original studies, were only tree nuts, legumes showed up to the party later. I just linked to one of the later ones confirming it for all.
The text from the original link is from an earlier study than the one linked to. You know, to encourage wide study, in case anyone was interested, without me wasting time on linking 20 ******* studies.

As I mentioned early on, you don't have to eat the ******* legumes, you ******* tuber. And he didn't mention legumes for his "bread" either.

If I were a less pious individual, I might wish that you were allergic, and that your next curry comes from a Thai, that can't cook without peanuts, doesn't believe in allergies, and doesn't speak the language, so that it could shut you up permanently, but that just isn't me.

Last edited:
My Scottish genes always ready to kick in, I was loth to discard the pulp into the flower bed as compost, so what to do with the pulp?
Could you;

1. Tie the pulp in a muslin bag and steep in a bottle of Vodka or two for flavourings? similar to a Rumtopf
2. Make a fruit pulp mash and ferment away to produce something resembling a fruit wine, or stronger?

Yes to both of those. Actually have seen wine made from pretty much that.

When I was distilling in Saudi I steeped my 4th run methyl in various things to flavour them. The most popular was oak chips from old Bourbon barrels from the US where they discard barrels much sooner than in Scotland.

I also made various liqueurs either by distilling from mashes produced from various fruits or by simply using peels/zests or using seeds. Fennel and Annise both have a very nice aniseed flavour so Arrak, Anissete, Ouzo or Pastis type drinks, coffee, made good liqueur. I can’t say I ever used vegetables though some vodkas are made from potatoes.

I have still got my cracking column as I graduated from pot still, but it uses a lot of water and I stopped using it a while back, and having brewed wine since I left Saudi in 2003 and can get wines I like from Aldi and Lidl at prices I am happy with.

Just did a quick juice today from what I could find in the vegie drawer in the fridge.

Used half a Fennel bulb, 1” of finger thick raw ginger, I large carrot, 1 green apple, 1 Pink Lady apple, 1 small beetroot, 1 tangerine, 6 large seedless red grapes, few mint leaves.

Carrot and ginger are peeled, everything is chopped fairly small, apple cores/seeds discarded.

It was a water glass full, red, and really delicious.

It does take more time than making a coffee, and then cleaning the juicer takes a bit more time, mainly disassemble and rinse then rack to dry. But makes two small juices one for morning one for evening, or just one big glass for whenever.

Why?