Judge rapped over boys race case

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by india-juliet, Apr 7, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. A judge who said a legal case against a 10-year-old boy over alleged racism was "political correctness gone mad" has been criticised by a teaching union.
    The National Union of Teachers (NUT) said Judge Jonathan Finestein was "out of date" in his attitude.

The boy from Irlam, Greater Manchester, appeared at Salford Youth Court accused of racially abusing a fellow pupil.

But Judge Finestein adjourned the case, saying the boys would have got "a good clouting" in his day.

But Judge Finestein said he thought the decision to prosecute the youngster was "crazy" and urged the Crown Prosecution Service to reconsider its decision.

"Have we really got to the stage where we are prosecuting 10-year-old boys because of political correctness?" he said in court.

"Nobody is more against racist abuse than me but these are boys in a playground; this is nonsense.

"I think somebody should consider reversing the decision to prosecute."

On adjourning the case until 20 April, he asked prosecutors to reconsider whether the case was in the public interest.

We need more Judges like Finestein. Im glad some members of silk are questioning the CPS

2. Damn right I.J.

I've just listened to some Muppet on Radio 4 bleating on about school 'strategies' and other such b@llocks to combat such 'racists'.

This county is going to the dogs - or should that be adjusted to ' four legged mammals' to avoid the marginalisation of cats!

This makes my blood boil!!!

3. i would struggle to believe that the lad would even know what racial abuse was at 10 years old, he would just hand out insults anyway, it is just too easy to mention colour when doing so without thinking imho

4. Promote Feinstein to the Central Criminal Court. Get rid of the 80 year old Justices there and Im sure this Judge would pass down the proper sentence that fits the crimes

5. I echo the comments of having a high ranking judge that thinks the country has gone mad. Political corectness has now ruined what was the fabric of society. People are treading on eggshells for fear of being caught in the PC trap.
    A recent incident at work involved a colleague having an interview without coffee from his line manager because he has the Union Flag as a window sticker in his company car.
    He was told to remove it as it might offend some of the 'ethnic' workers within the company. Rightfully he has refused and wants his line manager to put the request in writing. Totally mad!! 8O
    Get a grip HR folks.

I will wake up from this nighmare soon :twisted:

fastmedic

6. I agree with the judge's stance - especially as the two lads are now friends (according to the accused's mother).

However, what has been the Judge's stance on any teacher clouting a disruptive pupil ?.

7. Even though the Judge has said this, and told the CPS to reconsider the case, still they go back to court later this month, and you can bet your bottom dollar the CPS will still proceed with the case as they will say it is in the public interest. Public interest My A***se

As all have said previous, this is what the country needs, more people who will make a stand against PC gone mad. 8O

8. I also bet the Judge will not get this case again, The idiots at the Lord Chancellor's office will see to that.

9. that should have been dealt with by the teachers ffs.

10. The two boys are clearly enemies for life because of one comment, and are likely to be fighting in the streets with flick knives inside a few years.

Oh no, actually they're mates who play footballtogether. But why let the truth get in he way of a good race-related prosecution?

11. As soon as i heard this story on the radio i was immediately sceptical as to the forces behind this prosecution. It immediately seemed to me, to be a case of prosecuting to appease the PC agenda of those in charge of our education system. Knowing kids as i do (i spend a lot of time looking after my nephews), i also suspected that the child had no real meaning of the conotations or implications of the words he was using, but since reading into the story in more depth, it appears that there is more to the story.

Where does a 10 year old learn words like 'nigger' and 'paki', where does he learn to use them in the context of Al-queda and Bin Laden and shooting the 'nigger'? This does not come from watching TV or movies, neither does it (i suspect) come from passing comments made by adults. For a child so young to use such words, there must have been at least some form of constant exposure to a racist environment, be it at home or elsewhere. As such, the most logical course of action would not have been to attempt to criminalise this child (as the CPS and police seem to wish), but to confront the parents in an attempt to make it clear to them that this would not be accepted and that it was their responsibility to make sure the child knew that it was wrong to call people by such terms because of their skin colour.

But logic and common sense don't seem to prevail in todays Britain. :roll:

Telegraph

12. I never thought I'd be quoting the Bible!

In relation to this story I think "As Ye Sow, So Shall Ye Reap" fits perfectly though.

related story

13. A few 15 and 18 rated films would have been enough for a ten year old to pick up on. My 7 & 9 year old nephews pick stuff up very quickly , the 9 year old is allowed to play fantasy games on the internet and some of the 'chat' that goes on really isn't suitable.

I think a stern telling off and an explanation that using this sort of language is not acceptable would have been suffice - a few missed lunch breaks sat in the corner would have him feeling sorry for himself.

I remember when I was 5 throwing wooden bricks at a kid that wouldn't play nicely with everyone else - seems like I was lucky to get away with a telling off; these days I might have been done for ABH :)

14. In my oppinion kids rarely use these words for the same reasons adults do. They could be swearing etc to get a reaction or to establish their independence.
    They could be innocently imitating what they've heard someone else say."

15. Pentwyn, if you must have that sig block can you at least get the spelling and punctuation right?
    I'll PM you if you like with the correct version, but only if you promise to cut and paste it ASAP.

Edited to add, oh yeah, and the fcuking spelling