Judge Jeffreys and the Kangaroo are back!

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by AIR FILTER, Aug 11, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. They say that every cloud has a silver lining ...... I could not help but chuckle at the ultra fast track, all night court sittings held around the country last night to deal with yobs failed attempt at "coup de gras"!

Reminded me of classic Kangaroo - Judge Jeffreys style justice!

Such a shame that we stopped hanging in this country! :)

2. "Spin, spin, spin the Wheel of Justice... See how fast the bugger goes..."

Where's Judge Lionel "Nutty" Nutmeg when you need him?

• Like Like x 1
  3. They may get to court faster but the law is still the same and so is their rights. The hurry is so that they can be kept locked up and not given bail before the riot is over.

4. FORMER_FYRDMAN

FORMER_FYRDMAN LE Book Reviewer

Can't see the point of all the effort just to sentence them to a day in prison and release them immediately. Ah well, at least the lawyers are making money and that's what matters.

• Like Like x 1
  5. If they are convicted and sentenced, no matter how short the time, then there are further consequences.

Some where on here was a post about council houses/benefits etc etc that will be affected if you are a convicted prisoner - even if only for one day.

So if the above is correct then it probably is worth the trouble?

6. What the **** is a "coup de gras?"

7. Hazel Blears has been on North West News saying that anyone convicted of a criminal offence during the Salford riots will be evicted. Let's hope she keeps her word.

8. Brotherton Lad

Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

It's a blow of fat, obviously. Don't people do French these days.

9. The coup de grâce (French: blow of mercy) is intended to put a wounded creature out its misery.

However, I think our friend may have meant coup d'état, which is the overthrow of a government.

Personally, I would prefer to see the rioters given the former...

10. 'Course. Now you point it out. Thanks for clearing that up. Je ne sais pas mon arse from mon elbow aujourd'hui.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Yeah it's great kick 'em out of the council house and move them into a private rented near some decent folk and let's see how the neighbourhood declines.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Maybe he meant a Coup de main - on Currys and the like of course, in which they were mostly succesfull.

13. It's how they say "mow the lawn" in Francophone parts of the world.

• Like Like x 2
  14. I wouldn't worry about that...there are some lovely properties on Skye that they could be moved into:

[​IMG]

15. Brotherton Lad

Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

As opposed to Mardi Gras (almost rhymes with lardy da) which means Pancake Tuesday.