Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by GrumpyGit, Aug 27, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Daily Telegraph Sat 26 Aug Article tells how Iraqi Looters stripped Camp Abu Naji, Al Amarha of everything once the British Army had moved out and handed it over to the Iraqi Army 10th Div (considered by most to be the most professional of the Iraqi Army). A large crowd gathered outside the camp, but were seen off by the Iraqi Army, next morning 2,000+ armed with machine guns & RPG returned and the Iraqi Army crmbled, retreating to one small section of the camp.

I find this particulary frustrating, as a one time Op TELIC BG QM of Camp Abu Naji, we spent a lot of time and money (we're talking millions £) to maintain and improve the camp - I only hope that the new kitchens, dining rooms and welfare facilities were removed (anyone know?). Of course all along we knew (or suspected) that the savages would stop at nothing to tear it apart.

Of course that the British Army have now pulled out of Al Amarah is seen as a vistory to Moqtada al Sadr who is now claiming to have "kickede out the occupiers"

What a mess.
  2. chimera

chimera LE Moderator

I was on TELIC 1 and saw these people tear the whole of Basra to pieces - power lines torn down, pumping stations etc ripped apart for scrap metal, schools, hospitals, public buildings etc stripped down to bare walls.

It annoys me still when the media keps saying that we are not doing enough to "rebuild Iraq". Iraq was a functioning country on 19 Mar 03 - albeit that it was pretty ropey - but the country's infrastructure was been destroyed by the Iraqis themselves.
  3. this is just the start every time we pull out of a base they(the iraqi defence force ) wait 10 mins then let themselves be overrun by the locals and run away.

they are all barbarians, and it would have been easier to wait until they had killed each other then went in and took the place over.
  4. It's their country. Not yours.
  5. spot on and the way it is going, it could slide into a sectarian conflict between Shias and Sunnis wholesale, its probably just a matter of when.

the fact the Iraqi army failed to stand up to the mob is not good news and could set a precedent.
  6. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

I see your still full of deep thoughts and sensible statements, you Mong!
  7. Islamists believe everything comes from Allah. If its there and is no one else property they feel entitled to it.
    So no comments on THIEVING ARAB GITS, from me.
  8. Interesting thread,
    With the advantage of hindsight, was (Is) there a way of bringing about a regime change without the country falling into inter-tribal conflict?
    Difficult to say,
    The region has never had a shread of democracy in its history.

I'm not qualified to answer this, but would appreciate some opinions.
  9. Nuke the site from orbit - its the only way to be sure...
  10. So using your form of logical argument, what the fcuk are we still doing there then?
  11. Surely the problem is that it has never been their country, or in fact a country at all. It's the artificial creation of a nominally post-Westphalian state from three Ottoman Eyalets, by us, in order to maintain a strategic position in the ME.

The only times when there have been periods of relative peace in Iraq have been when an individual or external state have utterly repressed the tribal and sectarian factionalism. Its been the same since the fall of the Abasids, first the Ottomans, then the British, then the Ba'athists. The only thing which has changed is that now there is a lack of political will to impose a repressive 'imperialist' regime on the hetrogenous 'Iraqi' people. Oh, and the treasury will to fund the MoD sufficiently for that to happen.

Bearing in mind what ought to have been the lessons of the Balkans in the aftermath of the death of Tito and the fall of his communist regime, perhaps we could have been expected to see that the only thing keeping a lid on Iraqi society was that very dictatorial repression which we were so keen to get rid of...
  12. I thunked it, you sayed it!
  13. It's far more cost effective to leave the camp infrastructure in place. The cost of recovering all of the stuff put in place over the years and transporting it elsewhere would be pretty large.

Why risk soldiers lives transporting/moving Iso's etc?

The irony of spending ages accounting for all the stuff and then leaving it to get looted typifies the situation in Iraq. Once an arab always an arab!