Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

JTAC/FAC

I want to do this job but when I attempt to look it up there is little to no information, I'm wondering what regiments have JTAC/FAC's and how many times they are actually deployed and use their training?

Firstly are you serving?

cheekychimp

Old-Salt
Royal Artillery, Cavalry regiments and the RAF Regiment provide the majority of JTACs. Some infantry regiments and RM have their own (or did during Herrick) When I did my course there was 4 or 5 RA, 2 RM, 2 Inf, 2 RAF Regt and 3 or 4 SF. Herrick was the glory days for JTACs, if there is a war or conflict involving Air Power JTACs will definitely be there. JTAC replaced FAC in British terminology officially about 3 years ago.

Then read what Cheeky-Chimp said, look at the Units attending back then which to be fair wont be much different nowadays and join one of them. Once you get through training, get promoted as i think you need to be a JNCO at least then get JSP 918 (if its still applicable) out and read it....job done.

cheekychimp

Old-Salt
Then read what Cheeky-Chimp said, look at the Units attending back then which to be fair wont be much different nowadays and join one of them. Once you get through training, get promoted as i think you need to be a JNCO at least then get JSP 918 (if its still applicable) out and read it....job done.
Affirm, Corporal/Bombadier minimum to do the JTAC course. L/Cpl and L/Bdr can do the TACP signaller course, it doesn't necessarily mean you will go on to be a JTAC but is a really good introduction to "air speak" and battle space management.

ugly

LE
There is a reserve unit that does this I believe Clegg Bristle is a member (the old fart):twisted::twisted:, you will recognise him in the bar with the little black cocktail dress and heels.

Any piccies? :p

(No, that’s not actually me or anybody I know)

I want to do this job but when I attempt to look it up there is little to no information, I'm wondering what regiments have JTAC/FAC's and how many times they are actually deployed and use their training?
Officer is the JTAC with SNCO and 2 X JNCO signallers make up the TACP. RAF Regiment provide it for 16 AAB, 3 Commando Bgde via 29 Commando, SFSG and themselves. Training is at RAF Leeming JTACTSU (8 weeks) using the Hawks from 100 Squadron. Need to do PrePara selection as well for 16th AAB or All Arms Commando Course for 3 com brigade...

Officer is the JTAC with SNCO and 2 X JNCO signallers make up the TACP. RAF Regiment provide it for 16 AAB, 3 Commando Bgde via 29 Commando, SFSG and themselves. Training is at RAF Leeming JTACTSU (8 weeks) using the Hawks from 100 Squadron. Need to do PrePara selection as well for 16th AAB or All Arms Commando Course for 3 com brigade...

Not quite true. The JTACs in a TACP will usually be an officer but may be a SNCO and another who will be at least a Bombardier/Corporal. The siggies may not be JNCOs. RAF Regt ‘may’ provide ‘some’ personnel for 16AAB Bde and 3CDO Bde, others are from 7RHA and 29CDO, with some pax also being RM in the case of 3CDO Bde.

There is a pre-selection that must be passed prior to attending the JTAC course. There is also a two week TACP signallers course, also run at Leeming.

Not quite true. The JTACs in a TACP will usually be an officer but may be a SNCO and another who will be at least a Bombardier/Corporal. The siggies may not be JNCOs. RAF Regt ‘may’ provide ‘some’ personnel for 16AAB Bde and 3CDO Bde, others are from 7RHA and 29CDO, with some pax also being RM in the case of 3CDO Bde.

There is a pre-selection that must be passed prior to attending the JTAC course. There is also a two week TACP signallers course, also run at Leeming.
Is it similar to the five man team set up that 148 Battery had for their Naval Gunfire mission?

Is it similar to the five man team set up that 148 Battery had for their Naval Gunfire mission?

I’m not sure, but possibly. IIRC those teams have an officer, and a couple of NCOs, plus a couple of RN siggies, all in the field together. However in a TACP the siggies can often be further back in a CP operating as a form of aggressive air traffic control, while the JTACs handle the actual attack. Having said that, the siggies can also operate dismounted alongside the JTAC on the ground, as well as acting as a sort of JTACs Ack.

VALCON

Swinger
I used to be in one (614 TACP).
RAF Flt Lt, Cpl and me (Lcpl).
Always busy, always on exercise - Supporting the Brigade in multiple environments, using multiple platforms.
Boss = FAC trained, CPL/LCpl = Operate the marker/comms (and babysat the boss in an Army environment).

Latest Threads