JSSI Courses

Discussion in 'Sports, Adventure Training and Events' started by zxninerpilot, May 22, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Am a confident recreational skier, and have raced in some Corps comps, and am interested in the JSSI course but have a few questions.

1. What level do you need to be at to attend the course?

2. How easy is it to get a place on the course?

3. Where is the best place to do the course?

4. Are there any civ quals for doing it?

Grateful for any advice. Thanks.
  2. Answers to your questions:

1. See above
    2. Look at the DCI for adventerous training course dates - you will want to apply well in advance for spaces on a course. There is no guarantee of spaces - the TLT and JSSI courses tend to be quite oversubscribed. If you are:
    a) A JNCO
    b) A 2Lt/Lt
    You stand a slightly better chance that everyone else at getting on a course...
    3. Courses are mainly run in Bavaria, although there is also a lodge in Norway. Advise you to keep you eye open for Ex Snow Warrior, an exercise run by ATG(G) each winter in Bavaria. This trains soldiers/officers up to BSP/ASP (depending on ability) and STP level. Exercise is free of charge. Bids in around September. DCI should be out soon.
    4. No
  3. I found this on the search page and it was exactly the sort of information I was after but can anyone tell me if this is still current?

Basically, someone at my unit managed to get loaded onto his JSSI course without having done his TLT. I really want to go for my JSSI Alpine qual in the future but am not particularly interested in ski touring but am willing to do it if I have to. If someone can clarify this, it would be much appreciated!

Many thanks! :D
  4. I'm afraid that in the days of fiscal constraints then Ski Touring is the way ahead. No TLT, No JSSI, simple as that. It is a prerequisite now. All the details, phone numbers and applications can be found on the ATG Web-site:

5. Many thanks!