JSP 752 problems

Hello basically I'm getting hit pretty hard with a 2500 pound flight charge for me and my new wife I got posted to Canada on the 05 Jan 2015 and flew back to get married on the 25th of August I was then told I could have my return journey paid for and when I got back I got hit with a bill of the roa when I told him I couldn't afford this he then said he can take 50% of my pay and didn't leave me with much choice I was wondering if anyone knew a way around this or something I could use to counteract it because it's really hitting me hard as a newly wed crafty who still paying his advance for canada till November any idea or suggestions would be Massively helpful thank you

jurrasic_clerk

Old-Salt
You need to dig in to JSP 754 Chapter 2 Section 6. This lays down what can be recovered from you and the rate it can be recovered at. On initially looking at your problem, it looks like your recovery would be at a maximum of 4 days pay, however, I don't know your personal circumstances.

Unfortunately, I can't cut and paste anything at the moment, but if you are on DII, here is the link:

http://defenceintranet.diif.r.mil.u...or Pay and Charges (dated 1 October 2015).pdf

DITA

MIA
Normally a debt owed to the system is recovered at a maximum of 4 days pay, and only one debt is recoverd at a time. (below taken from @jurrasic_clerk's link):

Recovery of Public Debt Exceeding 4 Days’ Gross Pay

. Where a public debt is greater than 4 days’ gross pay, even when this debt is made up of individual debts which when aggregated total more than 4 days’ gross pay, or the individual is already having a previous public debt recovered from pay, the debt will appear on the next two pay slips as public debt (or added to existing public debt) to allow time for either volunteering to pay off at a greater rate or to object to recovery. They have two pay periods within which they may appeal against the debt(s), or for them to volunteer to pay the debt(s) off at a rate greater than 4 days’ gross pay per month (see 23TU02.0608U23T). If the individual unsuccessfully appeals against the debt(s) and does not elect to pay off the debt(s) at a rate greater than 4 days’ gross pay per month, then the debt(s) will be recovered at a maximum rate of 4 days’ gross pay per month and the outstanding debt(s) will be carried forward for recovery in succeeding months also at a rate not greater than 4 days’ gross pay per month.

That to me says they cant recover the money at a greater rate of 4 days pay.

The only exception I am aware of is a Military Fine, which should always be paid in full (when circumstances allow).

Who told you you could have the return journey paid for?

Normally a debt owed to the system is recovered at a maximum of 4 days pay, and only one debt is recoverd at a time. (below taken from @jurrasic_clerk's link):

Recovery of Public Debt Exceeding 4 Days’ Gross Pay

. Where a public debt is greater than 4 days’ gross pay, even when this debt is made up of individual debts which when aggregated total more than 4 days’ gross pay, or the individual is already having a previous public debt recovered from pay, the debt will appear on the next two pay slips as public debt (or added to existing public debt) to allow time for either volunteering to pay off at a greater rate or to object to recovery. They have two pay periods within which they may appeal against the debt(s), or for them to volunteer to pay the debt(s) off at a rate greater than 4 days’ gross pay per month (see 23TU02.0608U23T). If the individual unsuccessfully appeals against the debt(s) and does not elect to pay off the debt(s) at a rate greater than 4 days’ gross pay per month, then the debt(s) will be recovered at a maximum rate of 4 days’ gross pay per month and the outstanding debt(s) will be carried forward for recovery in succeeding months also at a rate not greater than 4 days’ gross pay per month.

That to me says they cant recover the money at a greater rate of 4 days pay.

The only exception I am aware of is a Military Fine, which should always be paid in full (when circumstances allow).

Who told you you could have the return journey paid for?

Sometimes it depends on the debt, I got spanked 4 days of pay for a JPA claim, 4 months of quarter rent and some other public debt. I got bummed for nearly 900 quid.

Luckily I work in stores and use 20s to light my cigars, but someone from another trade would have taken it in the plums.

With JPA claims, I thought the army could claim it all back if the claim wasn't valid (Not fraud but also not a genuine mistake). Putting in claim for £2500 (if he didnt seek proper guidance) might fall under that description.

It's was the estate manager who told me they would be paid for but I dont have any emails to proove it as it was said in person and at the moment I'm being paid 2000 and there taking 800 a month from two seperate things

Who (and what) is the estate manager? Is he military?

Edit I've just looked it up and seen its a WO1

Reading this guide (which isnt official) the GYHO (if thats what you claimed) appears to be for you and your family.

http://www.aff.org.uk/linkedfiles/a...paring_to_move/batus_pre_arrivals_guide-u.pdf

Last edited:

jurrasic_clerk

Old-Salt
The 4 day rule doesn't cover advances. The maximum period for recovery is 12 months. If your repayments exceed 4 days pay per month, so be it.

How were you billed for the flight. Was it a debit voucher or another advance?

Look on the bright side though. You will be getting in the region of £650 per month in LOA.

Last edited:

jurrasic_clerk

Old-Salt
Ah, I see what someone has done there. You have been given an EPIC in order to go and pay someone for the flight. I am assuming that you have somewhere agreed to a pre-payment/re-payment flight for your wife. When you get an EPIC, it comes out of your pay all at once the following month.

You have also been given an advance to cover the recovery of the EPIC so that you are paying it off monthly rather than all at once.

One final thing, if you come out with £1200 per month after everything is paid including your advances, you are doing well.

No that's just what I have after my advances are taken out I then I cilot gas and electric take me to about 1000 and then mine and the Mrs bills to pay because she stopped work on the UK to come here they total about 800 till she starts working again

And there's no solid evidence I agreed to pay one because I didn't because I didn't know and everything was mainly verbal hence why it was news to me I had to pay when I got back

jurrasic_clerk

Old-Salt
No that's just what I have after my advances are taken out I then I cilot gas and electric take me to about 1000 and then mine and the Mrs bills to pay because she stopped work on the UK to come here they total about 800 till she starts working again

Mate, everyone has bills to pay. You come out, after all your advances, rent and CILOCT with more than the minimum wage.

Ah fair one well I've just spoke to the pc and he sees a side it more because it's all a pretty big mess and 2600 is riduculos for a flight but cheers for the help anyways

jurrasic_clerk

Old-Salt
Won't be long before you've got everything paid off. Then you'll be quids in.

Basically the families section booked mine and my new wife's return flight to Canada at the cost of 2500 pounds

I assume it was first class at that price?

Latest Threads