JSP 101 Service Writing

Discussion in 'Officers' started by WonDERR, Mar 6, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Has anyone got a spare hard copy of the 'old' JSP 101 they don't mind parting with - when jsp101 was called service writing not defence writing, when submissions were called service papers, and before staff officers were required to address presentational issues (spin) on briefings for ministers?

the new jsp 'defence writing' is downloadable as a pdf but i'm after the jsp 101 'service writing' which predates defence writing.

Thanks

2. I have a copy, but you're not getting it. What do you need to know?

4. What I'd really like is the structure (order of section/group/main headings) of a service paper (the new 'submission' kooks to be an intellecutally corrupted variant!) thanks in anticipation

5. TheresaMay

TheresaMay LE Moderator DirtyBAT

WonDERR - it might be worth getting amongst the AECs to see if they can help - especially as they do a sizeable amount of DW work on the WOCLMs etc (or used to). They might have a copy of "how it used to be" around their libraries. They certainly used it to beat me over the head with once or twice during my days at the Colly AEC.

"2cm margins, two spaces after the full stop, margins set at 1cm... etc"

It's stil imprinted onto my brain to this day :)

6. Can't believe the staff college gurus allowed defence writing to supersede JSP 101 service writing

http://www.da.mod.uk/publications/library/miscellaneous/JSP101%20Version%203-1%20June%202010.pdf

The 2010 Def Writing JSP101 requires Officers to produce spin for ministers ('Presentational Issues' to be addressed in briefs etc),
    Routine, DO, Commanded and Directed letters are dumbed down with one letter (very fish and chip!),
    Proper OED spellings are replaced with trendy ones (ie organization -which is Oxford English, not American - is replaced with organisation)

Progress apparently.

7. Thanks call me Dave. I remember falling out big time with my DS at JDSC when I finished twice as much 'work' as others in the same time, but with more punctuation errors (as opposed to errors caused by lack of clarity, poor structure, grammar, syntax etc). my simple logic was a clerk could put that right (this was before PCs) and i was being productive. i still think he was badly wrong!

8. Guns

Guns LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. The Royal Navy

Much prefer the new JSP 101 as it cut out all the bullshit and simplified stuff.

My Canadian boss much prefered my submission paper over the Canadian Briefing Note format.

9. A Service Paper consists of:

A title - describe aptly and precisely what the paper is about

Introduction section. Defines the problem or states the issue to be considered and prepares the reader for the statement of the Aim. Should not pre-empt the discussion or anticipate the summary.

Aim section. Single sentence, it always begins with 'the aim of this paper is.....'

3rd section is a discussion. If comparing COAs, the last part of this section should be titled 'comparison of methods'.

Summary section. In conjunction with the Introduction, Aim and Recommendations, the reader should get the gist of the paper. The Summary must never contain facts, opinions or arguments that have not already appeared in the Discussion section.

Recommendations. As it says.

Oh, and by the way, my 1999 copy of the Defence Writing Guide also includes 'presentational issues' under MinSubs.

10. Guns

Guns LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. The Royal Navy

And that is why a submission is better.

Issue

Recommendations

Background

Stuff that is probably not going to be read because you have made the recommendation and the background to explain.

Job done.