JROTC Under Assault

Discussion in 'Multinational HQ' started by TankiesYank, Feb 19, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. L.A. Times: JROTC Takes a Hit

Fine, I know that JROTC is not a popular institution overall with many teachers or students. It's not for everyone.

But I know Roosevelt High School well, with its attendant problems of gangs, poverty and teen pregnancy, since I'm from around the corner. And what I want to know is: are the protesting teachers living in the same reality I am? Yeah, sure, it would be nice if more of them went to college. But are there so many fantastic opportunities awaiting the kids that don't end up in jail or dropping out that the teachers can afford to discourage them from the military? What about the kids' best interests? A lot of them need to pursue a career and start making money immediately to help their families, and all the peacenik rhetoric in the world won't change that.

Moreover, many of the Roosevelt students come from immigrant families who are eager to embrace patriotism in their new country; what right do the critics have to trivialize that?

ROTC has a great track record for keeping kids out of trouble, especially these "at risk" kids...but I guess it's easy to dismiss this program when you smoked your way through Santa Cruz. :pissedoff:
  2. Very sad indeed.

Surely the kids can make their own minds up, without all this cafufle.
  3. I'm waiting for the big one and hope it severs CA from the US mainland to sink to the bottom of the pacific ocean. Better yet withhold all Fed monies from the school and see how they get along.
  4. God this pisses me off!

But no Cali does not need to float away and sink! An opinion almost as rediculous as those expressed in the article, almost!

...it would make Pendleton the larget MEU in history though!
  5. California's Dept of education only receives about 10% of its funding from the Federal govt, and to give Gov Schwarzenegger (*shudder*) his dues that percentage is going to decline considerably further as he increase the state education budget again.

If we keep this global warming thing up and I think you'll be looking at beachfront property on Georgia's Southern border long before that happens. I've just whacked my thermostat up against the stop, even though it's 75 degrees outside, just to make sure. :thumright:

Personally, I don't see any problem with JROTC programs. I went through the cadets when I was a kid, had a bloody good laugh, learned a few things, it kept me out of trouble and they sent me all over the world. On the other hand I don't see a problem with the kids being given different opinions about life in the military/ the war etc.- provided that the kids aren't pressurized one way or the other and are left to make up their own minds about what to do with their lives. Both teachers and soldiers can be positive role models, the two aren't necessarily mutally exclusive.
  6. Obviously, most of these folks do not realize that the military can provide the best opportunity for some of these kids. Not meaning to sound like Kerry, but I overheard this quote at a local barbershop directed at Dubya's No Child left behind policy.

"No child left behind, and if someone is, there is always the military."

I was kinda left behind, then the military saved me hide. Strictly on the disciplinary angle, mind you. I suggest congress give the program entrenched rights to go to schools with a guaranteed visibility than it enjoys at the moment. We are at war, aren't we?
  7. shhh, don't tell that to the NEA ;-)
  8. I won't, if you don't tell that to the NRA ;-)
  9. Funny you should mention that detail, last week when I was in DC, I noticed that quite a bit of cadets had accents and a "year round tan".

I think it's pretty pathetic that they would attack JROTC, and ignore the root causes of there problems. Limiting options is the worst possible way to go about helping students, they should be offered as many viewpoints and opportunities as humanly possible.
  10. I had the opportunity to visit a JROTC unit in Indianapolis, I came away impressed by the standards and politeness of the students toward me, The staff were great to talk to, we were able to compare the differences between the American system and the British system, with quite a few banter thrown in, although I may find the scheme wanting in certain aspects , overall it is a positive thing and should be maintained.

I knew about th eCalifornia problem, seems the staff and Local Govt are very Liberal leaning and trying to push out JROTC program, some of them never replied to me when i tried to make contact.