JRM Jacob RM would like people to sign this Government Petition

JRM's suggestion was that, to avoid the Irish border problem, Ireland should leave the EU because the UK is going to. I know he likes to be seen as old-fashioned but even he must recognise that it's been some time since Ireland followed Britain's orders.

I'm getting rather fed up with his grandstanding. He has the luxury of promising unicorns that fart rainbows if he were running the show because he doesn't have to actually deal with the thorny problems of Brexit & make do with the sort of compromises that people who live in the real world recognise as necessary. He wants May's job all right, but not until Brexit's finalised & she's made the scapegoat for not delivering everything the oily charlatan claims can be got from it. He should either challenge her now or leave the campaigning until he's ready to do that. It's getting to the point where Corbyn's looking more respectful towards the leader of JRM's party than he is.

As for the HoL, I would prefer an elected chamber, but as it stands it has virtually no power, so there's no need to get all knee jerkery just because it can do a little parliamentary virtue signalling or delay the passage of a bill for a bit.

I get the fact that a ludicrous amount of the ' Other Place' are Political appointees, Religeous slots, and a few old Landowners , none of whom represent today's Britain.

There are also a lot of very smart, time proven patriots who provide a check to poorly thought out , knee-jerk political Acts of Parliament.

What does this thing propose to replace the Lord's with ?

Personally I've always thought the original HoL was a better system;

The members weren't beholden to anyone for their place.

They had ties to their area which lasted longer than the next election so could afford to take the long view.

It couldn't be used as a consolation prize for failed MPs, a reward for placemen or a bribe for services rendered.

Mr Prescott, Ms Chakrabarti, Mr Patten, Mr Paddick. spring to mind for no particular reason plus people like Mr Mandelson in receipt of an EU 'pension' contingent on not defaming his pay masters.

I appreciate that the HoL was flooded before WWI to pack it out. But mostly they seemed to do a better job before Mr Blair got his hands on the system and broke it.

Another elected house will change what exactly?

They had ties to their area which lasted longer than the next election so could afford to take the long view.

It couldn't be used as a consolation prize for failed MPs, a reward for placemen or a bribe for services rendered.

Mr Prescott, Ms Chakrabarti, Mr Patten, Mr Paddick. spring to mind for no particular reason plus people like Mr Mandelson in receipt of an EU 'pension' contingent on not defaming his pay masters.

I appreciate that the HoL was flooded before WWI to pack it out. But mostly they seemed to do a better job before Mr Blair got his hands on the system and broke it.

Hear hear.

I have signed this lets hope its a step forward to make it an elected chamber
It needs to be since the Blair "reforms," if they can't bring themselves to pass a Bill disbarring anyone from being ennobled who has been comprehensively rejected by the electorate in an election to fill seats in the Commons, such as the likes of Prescott and Warsi.

Exactly. It seemed to function much better when the hereditaries were in, regardless of any party affiliation. They should sack off the bishops, too - there's s'posed to be separation of church and state, especially now we're all multi-culti', multi-ethnic and multi-faith.

Multiple likes Chef.
Never mind Blair being dragged off to The Hague for War Crimes (though that would be nice), he should be brought to account for his shameful ‘reform’ of the Upper House.
Just thinking of the likes of Mess Steward Prescott, ‘Lord’ Adonis, ‘Baronesses’ Scotland, Chakribati, Brady and Moon, the 100+ (FFS!) Lib Dem peers and countless other examples of mediocrity being rewarded makes my blood boil.
For a start, they should cut out the dead wood (all those over 85) and reduce it by at least 25%.
Shameful.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Multiple likes Chef.
Never mind Blair being dragged off to The Hague for War Crimes (though that would be nice), he should be brought to account for his shameful ‘reform’ of the Upper House.
Just thinking of the likes of Mess Steward Prescott, ‘Lord’ Adonis, ‘Baronesses’ Scotland, Chakribati, Brady and Moon, the 100+ (FFS!) Lib Dem peers and countless other examples of mediocrity being rewarded makes my blood boil.
For a start, they should cut out the dead wood (all those over 85) and reduce it by at least 25%.
Shameful.
And bring in a clock in/clock out system so they don't just sign in and fcuk off home an hour later. Pay them at a pro-rata rate, based on the amount of hours they spend in the House, get caught on camera napping expect to lose that day's pay.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
BanjoBill The NAAFI Bar 31
RhodieBKK US 1
A_Knocker_Till_The_End Sappers 19