JPA - Service Numbers

Discussion in 'AGC, RAPTC and SASC' started by polar, Apr 6, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi, I've just had an email telling me that service numbers (for the RAF) are now in a different format since the RAF went onto JPA. Does this mean Army service numbers will also change (for new recruits)?

2. Current thinking is that all those who are in possession of a 'Regimental number' before their particular go-live date will have that number migrated from the legacy system and will carry on using this on JPA.

All new recruits joining after JPA has gone live will have a JPA generated number which will double up as their service number.

I've also heard on a briefing that although JPA refer to it as a 'staff number', this is in fact your 'service number.'

That said, hard facts about JPA are remarkably hard to come by.

Does anyone possess hard facts?

3. D_D

Been done to death here on ARRSE in other forums. What you have said is correct. All those currently with an army no will keep their existing number. New entrants will have a number generated by the system.

4. Will the numbers still be sequential? If not, how will you be able to tell the Nigs from the Old Salts?

Is someone with a JPA number destined to be a Nig for years to come? :D

5. Do you have a link to these? So the JPA numbers will not identify which service they belong to or that they are an officer. Does the number include a check digit to prevent invalid entry?

many thanks

6. JPA link 1
    JPA link 2

JPA will not distinguish between any sex or rank, the number will not include a check digit from what i have been told. The word on the ground is of dislike. The only benefit is the use of a free JPA terminal in the accomodation and social areas for surfing and printing, it won't get abused, honest..

7. No check digit. Any civilian, e.g. repoting officers, clerks etc, using the system will also be given a service number as a 'Stub' record must be created. So in theory there could be walts out there that will have a service number. There are ways of distinguishing who they are but you need a certain type of accesson the system.