JPA notification that I've got my LS&GC would I be a Walt if.......

I got this put on my minatures now?

I de-kitted this morning and my Dine out is in Feb, it's unlikley I will get it presented to me before I leave in April (Go on termination leave on Friday)

The SSA says I'm not entitled to wear it until I get it presented to me, and it can take up to 10 weeks for it to arrive, by which I'm long gone.

So would I be a Walt if I was to get the medal mounted to my minatures in time for my dine out? The chances are I'll end up getting it in the post , which is poor considering what the medal is about, but hey ho

Miniatures are always private purchase: that is, you can wear whatever you wish.

However, a crusty will always tell you that, as Betty is the national Fount of Honour, then you do her a disservice by wanging up some bling that (in theory) you're not entitled to.

S'up to you, ultimately.

DaManBugs

LE
Book Reviewer
So would I be a Walt if I was to get the medal mounted to my minatures in time for my dine out? The chances are I'll end up getting it in the post , which is poor considering what the medal is about, but hey ho
Get the medal mounted on your minis, but wear them on the inside of your jacket. Problem solved.

MsG

MARTOK

War Hero
The SSA is wrong. Once you have been awarded a medal or an Honour you are entitled to wear it and or use it. Just think about all the awards that are given out at new year and the Queens birthday etc and are not actually presented until months later. I know someone who was awarded The QGM but because of operational reasons it was never formally presented to them.

I de-kitted this morning and my Dine out is in Feb, it's unlikley I will get it presented to me before I leave in April (Go on termination leave on Friday)

The SSA says I'm not entitled to wear it until I get it presented to me, and it can take up to 10 weeks for it to arrive, by which I'm long gone.

What they gonna do send you to,the glass house?

They may present it to you at your dine out? That's the sort of thing I'd do anyway....

partyr

Old-Salt
You qualified for the award I imagine due to the new regulations, therefore I would assume the award date would be some time in the past, the fact that the medal has not yet been presented is neither here nor there. Tell the SSA to stop being a no mark jobs worth, and to buy you copious amounts of beer on your Dine Out. Oh, and well done!

I see no reason why you should not wear it if it has been awarded to you (as opposed to presented).
If JPA (and presumably the London Gazette) says it has been awarded, go for it.
Next time you see anyone, you will be a Civvy.
When I was presented my LS&GC, the RSM stiffed me for a bottle of Port as I had not had the ribbon for it added to my No.2s.

Cheers, I'm of to the tailors tomorrow.
Didn't realise how expensive it would be to leave the Army.
Presenting my Pace stick on a display to my blokes, bottles of various stuff for the PEC and Chief chips, and another bloke who has been a big help, a presentation the the Mess, engraving for the things I'm presenting, plus adding money to the cost of my presentation (To make up the cost) and now the cost of mounting my minatures, looking at over £400 of my own money to leave !!! lol
My choice I know.

I've only ever been presented one medal (And the chimp of a brig managed to jab me in the chest with the pin) all the others have been in a box in the RAO dept or in the post.
To top **** you on LSGC and bellthronk clerks though, mine came in the post in 6 regt and the stupid bitch wouldn't give it to me because I was posted a week later and there wouldn't be a presentation so she insisted on posting it to my next unit. (Who just passed me the parcel in the office).
All the medals I wear are copies (The originals are in my parents house) I tend to buy them when JPA says I'm entitled, not when a clerk tells me too

Just pack you civvies amd ;eave when it is quiet , no one will notice or take any action
Alternatively get flown home early from an Op tour, try and hand kit in to a non existent rear party then leave. Get all your gongs in the post about two years later

Taken from JSP761:

The ribbon of an Order, decoration or medal is to be worn (and the appropriate post-nominal letters used) from the date of the official notification of the award in the London Gazette or, in the case of an immediate award, as soon as the commander authorised to grant such awards has approved the award.

The authorisation in your case is JPA...get it on!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quoth

War Hero
I think with full sized medals from point of qualification/gazetting you wear the ribbon only, i.e. empty ribboned space on the mounting bar, until the medal is awarded. Technically you would need to send your gongs in twice for mounting and I think it would look a bit weird!

With regards to miniatures, as they are private purchase, wearing from point of qualification/gazetting I presume would be appropriate.

I did get caught, 10 month stint in Colly when I was young, few other bits and bobs along the way, but the new rules mean I just about squeezed it in. I didn't think I'd be that bothered, especially as I'm nearly out, but I was genuinely chuffed

I think with full sized medals from point of qualification/gazetting you wear the ribbon only, i.e. empty ribboned space on the mounting bar, until the medal is awarded. Technically you would need to send your gongs in twice for mounting and I think it would look a bit weird!

With regards to miniatures, as they are private purchase, wearing from point of qualification/gazetting I presume would be appropriate.
Be a bit awkward to wear the full sized medal until it was presented, I would imagine. Getting it pushed across the desk would count as "being presented" I would think.
Although we all had to hand ours back in after GW1 so some visiting General could "present" them to us again.

DITA

MIA
I threw mine on my miniatures as soon as the JPA notification appeared. We had a Regt'l boxing night a week later, and not one person batted an eye lid.

The full size medal arrived a couple of months later, and I dodged a presentation due to my brothers wedding and him wanting me in No 1's, asked the Adjt if I could have it to mount, and he said yep.

Job jobbed.

Latest Threads