Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Joysticks

murff576

Old-Salt
Whilst hoking through various boxes of alleged junk I found my long lost Microsoft Sidewinder Force feedback 2 joystick and loads of games I used with it.
Unfortunately it was last used about 2o years ago and the games don't like current windows system.
I tried looking for games that run in Win 10 that would let me use it but no joy.
Can anyone point me in the right direction or has it had its day as an input device?

No very desirable among flight simmers as no current FFB exists. Although I don’t think you will retire on its proceeds.

Join DCS forums or look on eBay, I think the enthusiasts modify them to make them work, I have the inner gubbins of one but don’t have the patience to resurrect it.

murff576

Old-Salt
No very desirable among flight simmers as no current FFB exists. Although I don’t think you will retire on its proceeds.

Join DCS forums or look on eBay, I think the enthusiasts modify them to make them work, I have the inner gubbins of one but don’t have the patience to resurrect it.
Thanks TB, but what's a DCS forum?

Thanks TB, but what's a DCS forum?
Digital Combat Simulator.
There are some work arounds that will get older sims up and running on Win10, whether or not the force feedback stick will work with them is another question.
I did manage to get CFS3 running and Red Baron 3D, but with a Logitec stick.

murff576

Old-Salt
Digital Combat Simulator.
There are some work arounds that will get older sims up and running on Win10, whether or not the force feedback stick will work with them is another question.
I did manage to get CFS3 running and Red Baron 3D, but with a Logitec stick.
Thanks chaps, very informative.
I'll continue to see if I can get my older games to work in Win 10 and try it that way.

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer
Whilst hoking through various boxes of alleged junk I found my long lost Microsoft Sidewinder Force feedback 2 joystick and loads of games I used with it.
Unfortunately it was last used about 2o years ago and the games don't like current windows system.
I tried looking for games that run in Win 10 that would let me use it but no joy.
Can anyone point me in the right direction or has it had its day as an input device?

it's probably not the games - make sure you have it plugged into a USB 2.0 socket. you'll find it doesn't like 3.0 for whatever reason.

mines the version 2 from 2002-ish and it gets detected and works fine in W10, I just have to be careful which port I connect it to.

the giveaway is if you connect it all up and you a. get the green power light on the base and b. it self-centers when you grip it.

murff576

Old-Salt
it's probably not the games - make sure you have it plugged into a USB 2.0 socket. you'll find it doesn't like 3.0 for whatever reason.

mines the version 2 from 2002-ish and it gets detected and works fine in W10, I just have to be careful which port I connect it to.

the giveaway is if you connect it all up and you a. get the green power light on the base and b. it self-centers when you grip it.
Aha Sherlock, you've hit on something there. I did notice that at one point it was lit and feeling forcey, but now realise that I was using a port other than the one I use normally so I'll look at that in greater detail.
Ta!

Latest Threads