Journo hypocrisy? Radio 2 discussion now.

#1
'Why do newspapers print pictures putting British troops in danger but not cartoons that might put themselves in danger?'

Topic about to be discussed on Radio 2. Yes I know it's Jeremey Vine, but there might be some interesting points raised.
 
#2
A discussion about journalistic hypocrisy on the BBC? Does this strike anyone else as being deliciously ironic?
 
#3
Would be worth a listen. Despite what some may think, I reckon Vine generally plays a good devil's advocate despite sometimes getting a bit too involved.
 
#7
Listening in, some flim flamming by guy who's phoning in ...

"Well you can see them on the net so that means it's OK not to"
 
#9
Great link LostBoss!
 
#10
Should We Have Printed The Iraqi Beating's Pictures?

Where's that Lynn Truss when we need her :roll:
 
#11
Caught a few minutes of this. Some excellent 'phone ins from the public including one (ex?) serviceman who hammered the NOTW and linked it with a plea for the government "just for once" to support us and cite the NOTW. Also on air was the mother of a troopie in theatre at the moment who linked the release of the NOTW photos with the recent deaths in Al Amara and said tha the editor of the NOTW was guilty of corporate manslaughter but rightly should be charged with murder. Good for once to hear direct comment from the people as a whole and not the mealy-mouthed utteranvces from Westminster village.
 
B

Biscuits_AB

Guest
#14
Great thread but I feel that the only way to get back at the NOTW is to stop buying or even reading it. Just like the Sun it's a popular paper with squaddies and the only way to hurt them is to stop financing them. Stop buying them and stop your mates doing so as well.

Boycott it. Get your families and friends to do the same. These people get squadies killed because they make money out of selling papers and when squaddies get killed, they make more money out of selling more papers.

Do the right thing.
 
#15
Biscuits_AB said:
Great thread but I feel that the only way to get back at the NOTW is to stop buying or even reading it. Just like the Sun it's a popular paper with squaddies and the only way to hurt them is to stop financing them. Stop buying them and stop your mates doing so as well.

Boycott it. Get your families and friends to do the same. These people get squadies killed because they make money out of selling papers and when squaddies get killed, they make more money out of selling more papers.

Do the right thing.
Hate to vomit into your kettle, but do you really think the few servicemen who buy it make that big a
contribution to the sales figures anyway? That's the problem with all this 'don't buy it' attitude. Noone could really
give a flying f**k about the minority group composed of British servicemen, (and women) not even the
disgusting excuse for a government which is happy to stand about for photos with a carefully selected group of
soldiers displaying an admirable cross section of Britain's multicultural society. Do the right thing? refuse to speak to any MP who may, on becoming lost, wander into your camp for any reason. That should get them thinking.
 
#16
Boycotting the paper is too passive. Far better to carry out active protests, like emailing the editor, contacting your MP, and getting family and friends to do the same.
 
B

Biscuits_AB

Guest
#17
Perevodchik said:
Biscuits_AB said:
Great thread but I feel that the only way to get back at the NOTW is to stop buying or even reading it. Just like the Sun it's a popular paper with squaddies and the only way to hurt them is to stop financing them. Stop buying them and stop your mates doing so as well.

Boycott it. Get your families and friends to do the same. These people get squadies killed because they make money out of selling papers and when squaddies get killed, they make more money out of selling more papers.

Do the right thing.
Hate to vomit into your kettle, but do you really think the few servicemen who buy it make that big a
contribution to the sales figures anyway? That's the problem with all this 'don't buy it' attitude. Noone could really
give a flying f**k about the minority group composed of British servicemen, (and women) not even the
disgusting excuse for a government which is happy to stand about for photos with a carefully selected group of
soldiers displaying an admirable cross section of Britain's multicultural society. Do the right thing? refuse to speak to any MP who may, on becoming lost, wander into your camp for any reason. That should get them thinking.
I wasn't looking for a fight mate, it was just a suggestion.
 
#18
With the greatest respect we would be peeing in the wind simply trying to get people to stop buying it. Sun readers and NOTW readers buy the paper out of habit not by browsing in WH Smiths and commenting on the standard of journalistic prowess before making their purchase. There are exceptions notably areas of Liverpool where, since Hillsborough, the Sun is not bought. Standard is the key word here and I agree with RABC it is our govt and represenative MP, those passing bills to curtail injustice and enforce high standards, to whom we should be writing. Get them to gob off or threaten simply not to elect them. MPs put us there it is their duty to defend the fall out.
 
#19
RABC said:
Boycotting the paper is too passive. Far better to carry out active protests, like emailing the editor, contacting your MP, and getting family and friends to do the same.
absolutley. i cannot agree more. there is no point boycotting these publications after all we need to know our enemy. :twisted:

i firmly believe that we have to get more active in our own defence. we can do this by filling the editors "in tray" with mail and bombarding our mp's with complaints. we are too quiet a minority for the media to bother about so why not do what we are good at? make a bloody big noise and make the public sit up and listen to those who count :evil:

its time we rid ourselves of this keep quiet and it will go away mentality. those times are gone and we need to remind our people of what we are.....their defenders and protectors in the night
 
#20
Perevodchik said:
Biscuits_AB said:
Great thread but I feel that the only way to get back at the NOTW is to stop buying or even reading it. Just like the Sun it's a popular paper with squaddies and the only way to hurt them is to stop financing them. Stop buying them and stop your mates doing so as well.

Boycott it. Get your families and friends to do the same. These people get squadies killed because they make money out of selling papers and when squaddies get killed, they make more money out of selling more papers.

Do the right thing.
Hate to vomit into your kettle, but do you really think the few servicemen who buy it make that big a
contribution to the sales figures anyway? That's the problem with all this 'don't buy it' attitude. Noone could really
give a flying f**k about the minority group composed of British servicemen, (and women) not even the
disgusting excuse for a government which is happy to stand about for photos with a carefully selected group of
soldiers displaying an admirable cross section of Britain's multicultural society. Do the right thing? refuse to speak to any MP who may, on becoming lost, wander into your camp for any reason. That should get them thinking.
It worked after the Hilsborough disaster, even now there are scousers who won't buy it.
 

Similar threads

Latest Threads

Top