Journalistic terms that are annoying me

Discussion in 'Int Corps' started by Dubb_al_Ibn, Aug 3, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ranted at the news yesterday (TV and newspapers). Terms that are currently p*ssing me off and used by lazy journos (and I assume some of them are reading this)......

1. Not every bloody missile/rocket on earth is a "Katyusha"! Buy a Janes book and use it or look it up on weapons systems.

2. Not every automatic rifle with a bendy magazine is a Kalashnikov.

3. The British army does not wear "fatigues." Fatigues are a punishment NOT a form of dress.

4. Nobody in any service I know (army, police, fire) has ever called a newly joined member a "Rookie." We just DON'T use it !

5. When do "rookies" become "veterans". Is there a journalistic convention for this and do veterans automatically become "heroes" if they feature in a headline (especially if they get caught doing something Falklands Hero Ate My Cat) ?

6. Guardsmen don't wear "Busbies" (NTTT can brief us on headgear).

7. Using the word "effectively" when the lazy, bloody journalist means "in effect" They're not the same thing !

And Ben Brown could at least have a shave if he going to appear on National Television. And don't give me any excuses about there being no electricity in Beirut. What's wrong with a mess tin and cold water.

And the NHS. Why is it that nursing staff (esp. females) are unable to form a sentence without the word "Pop" in it ?

I'm not making it up but recently one of them said to me, "Pop up onto the couch, pop your shirt off and we'll just pop this canula into your arm." Ffs, I'm not a six-year old !

Rant over. I shall now zip up my cardigan and return home to Pendant's Corner and dream of the day when the BBC didn't call each other by their first names and when they didn't present the news from a hotel roof in the dark.
  2. ok if this is a wah then shoot me. but "Pendant's Corner"? :D is it full of necklaces and stuff?

surely you mean Pedants' Corner
  3. It was a play on words ...Pedant ...Pendant, see what I've done. Sorry, bit early for my sense of humour, I know.
  4. and i guess i left myself signed in as barbgenius on the works computer lol
  5. Dubb_al_Ibn its because Journos like most people learn about the military from watching yank war movies. The British counter balance such as - Ultimate Farce is too new take effect.

Apart from 'Katyusha' and 'Kalashnikov' which sounds warry and still have a vague echo of being used by 'revolutionaries'. Ah the romance of it all.

However 'Kit' and 'Gucci' are now being used to death by journos and politicos
  6. I left one out. And I know it's been mentioned on another thread on this site.

A colleague at work the other day (civvy job) asked me to "get some intel" on a certain subject. I nearly punched him.
  7. Isn't Ultimate Farce real ? I thought it was a documentary.
    I remember one scene in the last series where the token-totty, inty-type girl answered the phone saying,

"Hello, twenty two reg, here."

Classic television.
  8. What you have not suffered the cry of 'incoming' when someone dumps some paper work on your desk or the post boy asking have you any 'outgoing' - or hearing actors refering to non actors as 'civilians or civdiv'
  9. I always remember deploying to Bosnia with the AMIB when it became American lead and they had this awful term "DOWN RANGE" (Oxford Literary Translation = Deployed on Operations) - FFS. "So ok when you guys get down range you'll know more about the type of resources you'll need". :x
  10. What about the current trend to call soldiers troops? "Troops" is a group noun and cannot be used to refer to a quantified number of individuals.
    We get headlines of "Two British Troops Killed" when they mean "Two British Soldiers killed. I have actually heard a reporter refer to a single soldier as a troop FFS!
    A troop is a sub-unit. In the plural it can be used to refer to a large number of soldiers as in: "The troops seem happy Sarn Major: feck 'em about a bit".
  11. All the resources you need "down range" ... a pot of paste and some paper patches.

They probably wouldn't have understood if you'd have said that.
  12. For me it's the use of 'Top Brass'. No they just haven't died or retired and ranted before publishing their memoirs.

As for 'our boys' we will NEVER be the Suns boys.
  13. Beentheredonethat. I thought I was a ranting pedant (or pendant) but spotting that is "excellent skills" (another term starting to creep in).

I like the avatar. Looks familiar.
  14. Of course they wouldn't - they don't have a sense of humour. And besides which the Americans used Pots, Paste and Stickers it would mean that 200 US Soldiers who are employed to wave the pole with the red circle attached on the end on their ranges would be made redundant :?
  15. For me one of the worst is "so-called". It either is, or it ******* isn't. They're not so-called terrorists or so-called insurgents. They're ******* terrorists or insurgents or they're ******* not.

And nine times out of ten you can guarantee that the ******* describing someone or something as so-called are the halfwits who came up with the phrase in the first place.