Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jordan Peterson on Cathy Newman

Yokel

LE
The decalogue needs a tidy up. The first four commandments are pure ego and the rest are common decency.

I am sure that Christ summed them up as two. These two, and particularly the concept of love thy neighbour as thyself, have been key the development of Western legal, political, and social systems. The concepts of repentance and forgiveness has been essential for society.

Where is the forgiveness in the mob, convinced that they are morally superior and without fault, and intolerant of those who err?

endure

GCM
How about

I undertake the rule of training:

Not to take life
Not to take that which is not given
Not to commit sexual misconduct
Not to use false speech
Not to use intoxicants which cloud the mind

All formulated by a bloke who died 543 years before Christ was born... ;-)

I am sure that Christ summed them up as two. These two, and particularly the concept of love thy neighbour as thyself, have been key the development of Western legal, political, and social systems. The concepts of repentance and forgiveness has been essential for society.

Where is the forgiveness in the mob, convinced that they are morally superior and without fault, and intolerant of those who err?
Mr chairman, do I have to love my neighbour, as he's an ignorent twat stinks of piss?

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
So old Peterson is back for another bite at the cherry. 12 more rules, that makes 24.

The Good Lord manages with only 10 but there again he probably wasn't an academic.

Clemenceau walt

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
And how do we know that cars existed in Biblical times Moses rode a motorbike?

Because Moses came down the hill in his Triumph. Because the sound of Moses' triumph was heard throughout the land.

FOC.

Niamac

GCM
They need updating for the social media generation.

Thou shalt not LOL at thy neighbour's meme.
Billie Holliday got it right.

"Help yourself, but don't take too much."

God bless the child who's got his own.

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
How about

I undertake the rule of training:

Not to take life
Not to take that which is not given
Not to commit sexual misconduct
Not to use false speech
Not to use intoxicants which cloud the mind

All formulated by a bloke who died 543 years before Christ was born... ;-)

I thought you'd served?

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer

Niamac

GCM
Clemenceau walt
But that was only 14; Peterson is going it at 24. Seriously I had a look at his first book and I thought it was pretty thin; you'd get more from a good translation of Marcus Aurelius' Meditations.

(Off for my post-prandial kip.)

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
Are there no Christians in the armed forces then? The 5th commandment tells you not to kill...

At a push the Royal Army Chaplain's Department might be able to produce a couple if one was prepared to bend on the requirements but most soldiers I know take the 10 Commandments as an early example of reverse psychology.

Kill or murder? Depends if god has any random bits of smiting he needs doing. If you go freelance, it's murder.

But that was only 14; Peterson is going it at 24. Seriously I had a look at his first book and I thought it was pretty thin; you'd get more from a good translation of Marcus Aurelius' Meditations.

(Off for my post-prandial kip.)
I asked him about stoicism actually. He was surprisingly non committal, but I got the impression of maybe something like "Yes it's useful but not the whole answer, feelings matter too and I haven't yet formulated a position on that or am not ready to say". Was my impression. Assuming I am smart enough to understand him.

Jordan Peterson v the crybullies​

The reaction to the 12 Rules for Life sequel shows an infantile intolerance​

BY DOUGLAS MURRAY

1606445650523.png

Jordan Peterson v the crybullies - UnHerd