Joomla upgrade clanger

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by Mikal, Jun 9, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Anybody here use Joomla?

TSO has just nuked her website by trying to upgrade from 1.5 to 2.5 even with the warnings she read.....

Any sensible suggestions for the upgrade path to help with a quick rebuild in 2.5?

2. Negligent-Discharge

Negligent-Discharge LE Book Reviewer

Oi! TSO (The Scarey One) is copyright of my missus and can only be used in the "How Bone Is Your Missus" thread.

Anyhoo, any joy?

3. I thought TSO was 'The Significant Other' - thanks for enlightening me!

4. I use SWMBO myself.

5. blue-sophist

blue-sophist LE Good Egg (charities)

You could try a PM to meridian … he originally set up the Sgt Slingsby and holidays4heroes websites with Joomla, although he's since migrated us to WordPress.

6. She did backup before updating using Akeeba or XCloner didn't she..?

7. Yup she has a complete back upo but she can't get her local machine to act as a server to use it. Since this sort of thing is normally my day job, I've been a bit hands off.

8. Likewise. I suppose I could use - SWiNS (She Who is Never Seen).

9. Bad CO

Bad CO LE Admin Reviews Editor Gallery Guru

Sounds like a job for WAMP to me (on the assumption she uses windows). Install that plus a local copy of Joomla and off you go .....

P.S Although we do use Joomla for some of our sites, I'm personally a big fan of Wordpress.

10. Many thanks.

Called her in to read this and now she's pottered off back into her den to give it a whirl. BUT............. you have planted a seed called Wordpress. I hope I'm not going to end up with more sleepless nights while she works everything out and ponders at length about switching from Joomla. On the plus side, it keeps her out of mischief and gives me peace and quiet for most of the time.