Jonestown Massacre & Cults

View attachment 377421

I've been mentoring a student on a work placement she got me this for Christmas, shes clearly worked out how to get a good review.
Now I have a dark sense of humour, but that made even me go "ouch".

View attachment 377421

I've been mentoring a student on a work placement she got me this for Christmas, shes clearly worked out how to get a good review.
I have to admit I'd have this on my desk.

I remember the initial news stories breaking stateside, first of the ambush and killing of the congressman and company at the airport. This was followed with the news of the mass suicide.

Heaven's Gate still update their website and answer emails.

Heaven's Gate - How and When It May Be Entered
From memory, at least one member of the group did not participate in the mass suicide.

He was the one who phoned in the call to the police

I've been to some pretty sh*te calls (as I am sure many have), but I often wondered what it must have been like for the first responder through the door to find all those people laid out dead.

"Units - Early Update please for FCR Inspector?"

"Erm.... tell them to declare a critical incident and check how many SOCO's are booked on today?"

From memory, at least one member of the group did not participate in the mass suicide.

He was the one who phoned in the call to the police

I've been to some pretty sh*te calls (as I am sure many have), but I often wondered what it must have been like for the first responder through the door to find all those people laid out dead.

"Units - Early Update please for FCR Inspector?"

"Erm.... tell them to declare a critical incident and check how many SOCO's are booked on today?"
"Also, does anyone wanna buy some Nikes? Only in black though".

It’s about time Cults made a comeback, do you think the leaders believe in it or just want a hareem of believers? Asking for a friend who has 100 acres.
Experiences of New Religious Movements vary.

Obviously, David "The Sinful Messiah" Koresh had the 'House of David' and his unlawfully young poontang.

Marshal Applewhite, leader of the Heaven's Gate group, discouraged sex to the extent that he (and several others) were surgically castrated and the group adopted asexual clothing and haircuts.

So, I would encourage a clear understanding of the revelation you have received.

Sorry, I would encourage your friend to clearly understand the revelation they have received.

Never miss Leah Remini’s series Scientology and the aftermath. The things that this organisation do are beyond belief and how it can be classed as a church and have tax exempt status in the US is beyond me.
Since this is ARRSE and in The NAAFI Bar, Ms Remini has a nice arse as well.

Nemesis44UK

LE
Book Reviewer
If anyone has a desire to listen to the recordings as Jonestown drinks the Kool-Aid, go to YouTube and search for: q042 tape. I recommend listening to it through headphones and alone. It sounds cliched, but the tapes are spine chilling, especially the children crying because of the pain.

The rather excellent true crime podcast Sword and Scale covered it in Episode 50 I think. It certainly wasn’t just a mass suicide but rather mass murder as some followers were given no choice- either drink it or be shot.

If anyone has a desire to listen to the recordings as Jonestown drinks the Kool-Aid, go to YouTube and search for: q042 tape. I recommend listening to it through headphones and alone. It sounds cliched, but the tapes are spine chilling, especially the children crying because of the pain.

The rather excellent true crime podcast Sword and Scale covered it in Episode 50 I think. It certainly wasn’t just a mass suicide but rather mass murder as some followers were given no choice- either drink it or be shot.
Thanks but no thanks. The logistics of the massacre are seriously disturbing; it took hours for the line to be processed past through the Kool aid station. Every one could see what was happening and they still subjected themselves and their kids to the horror. Members who weren't even there but got the message over radio killed their kids and themselves with knives.

Thanks but no thanks. The logistics of the massacre are seriously disturbing; it took hours for the line to be processed past through the Kool aid station. Every one could see what was happening and they still subjected themselves and their kids to the horror. Members who weren't even there but got the message over radio killed their kids and themselves with knives.
I had always envisaged every one sat in the meeting (wherever) and the drinks were handed round by seniors whilst he ranted and then everyone pretty much drank together.

The reality is incomprehensible - its far more disturbing

I had always envisaged every one sat in the meeting (wherever) and the drinks were handed round by seniors whilst he ranted and then everyone pretty much drank together.

The reality is incomprehensible - its far more disturbing
If you've got 40 minutes spare, watch the documentary that I posted at the start. It really made a lasting impression on me. Every detail is striking and the whole story truly beggars belief.

[Pedant] It was actually Flavor Aid, not Kool Aid [/Pedant]

Whilst we're on the subject, this is very worth a read.

The Cult at the End of the World: The Terrifying Story of the Aum Doomsday Cult, from the Subways of Tokyo to the Nuclear Arsenals of Russia by David E. Kaplan

Been years since I read it, but the logistics and sheer determination of the Aum Supreme Truth to deter investigation (couple of quiet murders prior to the underground attack) are chilling.

Bear in mind this was well before the Islamist world post-9/11 we live in now.

The Japanese only finalised the last executions from the attack July 2018.

Last Sarin attack cult members executed

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
For those interested there is an awesome podcast from the Beeb running atm, called "End of Days" About David Koresh, the Branch-Davidians and the 30 Brits who were members of his cult at the time of the fateful seige. Really engaging with great tunes.

BBC Radio 5 live - End Of Days - Downloads