Jolly to Poland to get my nashers fixed

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by bleep323, Aug 11, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. This looks the most likely place to stick this but I could be wrong.

At the ripe old age of grumble grumble I have had my first tooth pulled, my dentist has suggested a "dental implant" to fill the void and quoted me £2000, yes you read that right. I could live the rest of my days looking like Cleatus but I have heard that going abroad even with the airfare, hotel and everything else could save me a fair wedge. Has anyone any experience of doing something like this?
  2. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

Fireworkphil has told us at length on the WW1 bbatlefield tours about his trips.
    He's on a visit to France at the moment.
    On his return I'm sure he'd love to bore you with how good it was.
  3. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

My mates mother is Macedonian
    She gfoes over all the time to get her nashers done

However shop around my missus got quoted something same for an implant
    When she told her dentist he nearly fel over
    He sorted her out and recomended a dentist to do the same job alot cheaper
  4. Mate, you get what you pay for. Have you seen the teeth on the average Eastie? F*ck that, you might end up looking like a Bosnian refugee. Sugar-puff teeth, not the way ahead. Like they said above, shop around, IN THE UK.

I paid £45 today to get my Mrs a white fillng replaced (in BFG, mind).:-D
  5. You can save a packet but be very careful. My drinking buddy at the BNP Social Club went to Warsaw for a scale and polish. Just look at how he came back. Turned out he tried to pay with Greek Euros and the dentist gubbed him.

Why not try India? It's even cheaper there and you could get a dose of that new super bug that everybody's talking about.

Above all, don't let a foreign chappie give you a general anaesthetic. You'll wake up back in your hotel missing one of your kidneys.
  6. I have had a number of implants over the past several years. All have worked out well. The price you quote for the UK is pretty close to what I pay here in the US. It can be a good investment though. If you get a bridge, the kind cemented with crowns on the adjacent teeth and problems develop with the adjacent teeth then the whole outlay on the bridge is down the drain. I am going to the dentist Friday for extractions and bridge from the implants myself. Pricey yes but my health is worth it. I have problems chewing and am starting to look like Shane McGowan of the Pogues. Bridges from natural teeth will not last forever, maybe 10-15 years. Part of your decision depends on your age and health. If "grumble, grumble" is in the low 60's like me and your family tends to live to 85 or so like mine the implants are probably worth it.

By the way, Shane McGowan, referenced above, had arguably the worst smile of any entertainer. A year or so ago he went to Spain for 6 weeks and returned to Ireland with a full set of lovely new implants.

I don't care that much about appearance but I want to be able to chew nourishing food.

Re comment above about general anaesthetic, I don't see the need. I have had root canals, implants and apicoectomies with just Novocain. (An apicoectomy is like a root canal but they start at the root. They cut a flap of gum skin, grind through the bone to the root and do the root canal from that end. Worse than an implant)
  7. Thats for everyones thoughts and advice I think I will delve a little deeper, I just turned 40 hence the grumbling and don't fancy going back every 10 - 15 years to have bridges attached so would prefer the implants. Hopefully I can find something somewhere I can afford without having to remortgage my house.
  8. I have a friend who went abroad for her treatment and said she had a rather hunky dentist. She would have preferred to have it here and with her regular dentist but she just couldn't afford it. She was perfectly happy with the teeth she came home with.
    I'm not sure it's worth the bother for just one implant
  9. Well, today I had the work done. 6 teeth extracted, 4 implants in place with healing covers and a temporary bridge (clip in sort) put in 2&1/2 hours in the chair. I came home, popped a Vicodan the doctor gave me, and took a nap. Still achy but not too bad. Probably will have porridge for dinner though.

Some of the dentists here in the states advertise "mini-implants" and lower prices. I asked my doctor about them. He said a new product, no long term results on them. Regular implants are usually 4 to 5.5mm in diameter. "mini" ones are usually 1.5 to 2mm. He said he feels that they are less likely to last long due to the biomechanical effect on the bone. He only has used "mini" implants with patients with very fine boned jaws with less bone to work with. General dentists often due "mini"s as they are easier to put in and require less specialized equipment to put in. The guy I go to is a Periodontist who specializes in gum surgery and implants.

Hope this helps. Time to go make the porridge now <grin> (note: grin shows of the temp. bridge)
  10. udipur

udipur LE Book Reviewer

I got a lot of work done in Abu Dhabi as I was there for four months on a contract.

Turned out the dentist who worked in the same block as the hotel looked after a few of the royals there and was very handy. The first time she looked in my mouth, she mentioned the renowned low quality of British dental work. Suffice to say, she did a wonderful job and I'm still smiling.

Dr Elisabeth Dental Clinic
    Office # 5, 1st Floor, Hilton Corniche Hotel Apartments, Khalifa Bin Zayed Street (Khalifa Street), Al Markaziya, Abu Dhabi
    Landmark: Behind Pizza Hut
    P.O.Box: 44105, Abu Dhabi
  11. I can recommend India. My mother got a fair bit done and it came to a tiny percentage of what it was going to cost her in the UK. There are dentists out there who cater to "dental tourism" and you can make several àppointments in advance. Fit it around a holiday as well!
  12. Thailand has plenty to offer in the way of good quality dentists and you can get a shag whilst you are there. Both will be a lot cheaper than UK. Last year I had a root canal done and a crown fitted in UK at a cost of 1000 quid less a few pennies. It fell out lest than a week later when I was in Ho Chi Minh City. Christmas eve saw me in the dentists chair at the Franco-Vietnamese hospital in HCMC having it put right by a delightful Chinese lady who is a Dr. of Dentistry (Ffrench university qualified). The existing tooth had crumbled a bit and she had to work on it for about three hours and implant (or whatever the **** it is that they do) a new crown. Total cost was about $400 US. She told me that I had very hard tooth enamel and had broken three drill bits. She declined the offer of a shag.