Joint training mission to Mali

It's been announced on RTE News that British and Irish forces will join forces to train government troops in Mali. The team will consist of eight Irish Defence forces members and eighteen British Army instructors. the training team will be an element of a larger EU training mission numbering some two hundred.

Let's hope for a misprint on the transport order, I hear Bali is nice this time of year :grin:

Is this the task that 1 R IRISH have picked up? There could be interesting times explaining who is who to the Malians if it is.

"Well yes we are from the same island, but from different countries", "well yes he is from the same country as those guys but he is in my country's army and they are in their own country's army" etc etc etc

Sarajevo... awesome Bar. IIRC the IDF took on the camp RSM from the British when we packed up and fcuked off, and took over the NSE building.

Sending 1 R IRISH to Africa on a training mission? What could possibly go wrong? ;-)

Don't worry lads the Irish lads will keep the Royal Irish out of trouble.LOL
BTW IDF= Israeli Defence Force.Don't call Irish army IDF.Too many Irish killed by the yids in Lebanon.It's Defence forces Ireland or Oglaigh na hEireann(Taking the name back from the muppets who like to call themselves that when blowing up kids and squaddies.Patriots my arse)

BTW IDF= Israeli Defence Force.Don't call Irish army IDF.Too many Irish killed by the yids in Lebanon.It's Defence forces Ireland or Oglaigh na hEireann(Taking the name back from the muppets who like to call themselves that when blowing up kids and squaddies.Patriots my arse)
Sadly it'll never stop being called the IDF by British forces... but thats definitely not the worst i've gotten... i gen had my Captain refer to where i'm from as "Southern Ireland"... i tryed to correct him in vain and then a Corporal took it upon himself to explain why that was very wrong... but him being a captain didn't give a bollox and continues to note that i served with the IDF in Southern Ireland and went so far as to say it in my SJAR... shocking but sure it's like people who aren't in the know thinking the American Rangers are SF or Royal Marines are British Army.... if i had to change anything it would be the standard English Civy thinking that Northern Irish people are British... or just generally thinking that Ireland (the whole island) is part of the UK...

apparently its 200 trainers and 300 loggies and force protection - anyone know who's doing the force protection?

remarkable coincidence/political 'good fortune' that it happened to be I R Irish who happened to be on the slate when this job, and the opportunity to to do a joint job with DFI, came up...

Northern Irish people ARE British.

Sadly it'll never stop being called the IDF by British forces... but thats definitely not the worst i've gotten... i gen had my Captain refer to where i'm from as "Southern Ireland"... i tryed to correct him in vain and then a Corporal took it upon himself to explain why that was very wrong... but him being a captain didn't give a bollox and continues to note that i served with the IDF in Southern Ireland and went so far as to say it in my SJAR... shocking but sure it's like people who aren't in the know thinking the American Rangers are SF or Royal Marines are British Army.... if i had to change anything it would be the standard English Civy thinking that Northern Irish people are British... or just generally thinking that Ireland (the whole island) is part of the UK...
Standard English civvies are correct, its part of the UK