Joint Services Flag

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by Galileo82, Jul 30, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Morning All

Can anyone enlighten me as to the origins of the colours of the Joint Services Flag? I am about to start selling Help for Heroes wrist bands at work and I know the question “what do the colours represent?” will come up.

My theory…apologies…

Dark (or Navy if you will) Blue for the Navy - because the sea is dark blue!?
    Light Blue for the RAF – because the sky is light blue!?
    Red for the Army – Not a clue! Possibly something to do with the origins of the Redcoats?

Please excuse my ignorance.

Thanks in advance

2. The infantry of the New Model Army (1645) was dressed in red coats because they were cheap (no surprises there), and that's the colour most of the army has worn ever since, even if these days it's just their Mess Dress.

Prior to that, soldiers wore the colour of coat that their colonel felt like buying for them. Civil War infantry regiments wore green, black, purple, yellow, red, orange, blue and white (undyed wool) coats, with regiments on both sides wearing the same colours.

Don't know about the origins of the other colours, although I'm sure people on Rum Ration and e-goat do.
  3. General Melchett

General Melchett LE Moderator

Is this a wah?

OK, yes - NAVY BLUE for the NAVY, RED for the ARMY and SKY BLUE for the RAF.

Mix 'em up and you get purple hence all that tri-service purple b*llocks.

Reasons as mentioned above. Some tri-service establishments wear a stable belt in the same colours. Nasty.