Joint Fires/ Air Land Integration

Discussion in 'Gunners' started by goatbagthedruid, Jun 21, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Although we have been doing it for years, Joint Fires and Air Land Integration are now the hot topics in the Gunner world. I think it's an excellent idea (especially building on experience of Op TELIC with the MEF ANGLICOS and current experience on HERRICK).Thoughts?

GBTD

2. GBTD - how are you old man?? with regards to ALI - it's what we do best, just taken a while for the "think tanks" to cotton onto it!!

Today's ALI is clearly a lot more complex than the days of JAAT (showing my age here) but it really is, as you quite rightly say, nothing new. At least now the Royal Regiment is recognised as the ALI leader (can of worms open - body armour on- awaiting retorts!!)

3. Captain_Crusty

Captain_Crusty War Hero Reviewer Book Reviewer

As with many of the advances of the last few years, i suspect that stepping back to pre-Jt Fires/ALI days would be seen as am unacceptable regression to cold-war soldiering.

To give an example - MUAV (MUAS?) is an UOR; do you think we would ever deploy a major force again without it?

4. Think you will find MUAV is no longer UOR after the recent re-role of regts

5. meridian

meridian LE Good Egg (charities)

isnt RPAS the current de-riguer terminology :D

6. Captain_Crusty

Captain_Crusty War Hero Reviewer Book Reviewer

I think the re-role is a 'temporary' measure - probably shouldn't say any more on this medium.

7. Re-role to support current ops does not mean that the equipment has been taken into the core EP. Watchkeeper is DH isn't.

As other posters state - Jt Fires and ALI have always been core Gunner business. It is just now that we have a war ongoing, we finally have the assets and resources to do it properly.

UQFEGD

PP

8. ALI leader???? Of course the RA is.I think you would find the ''Air'' part of ALI would disagree. But hey crack on with your empire building.

9. meridian

meridian LE Good Egg (charities)

would anyone mind a wedge butting in with an observation from an outside angle

Budgets are decreasing and to stay relevant we need to wring every single last drop of efficiency out of the armed forces across all three services

Before anyone starts I think there are efficiency savings to be had in the engineering area but the use of UAV's, the dissemination of usable information and joint fires just seems fragmented, CAS, NGS and the more traditional indirect fire functions would seem to be spread out,

Is this efficient?

In the same way discussion on C-IED usually end up in a bitch fest between RE and RLC is this the same?

I will say again, budgets are decreasing and efficiency needs to be realised before it is imposed

Not saying I have the answers because I don't, it just seems illogical that the RA have a UAV that will likely be flying out of the very same airfield as whatever the RAF end up with

10. Who won the trophy for ALI last year? NOT the RA/RSA for starters