Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by Amy5555, Jan 6, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have been looking into the army for a while now, and just have a few questions which I would like opinions on.

I have a degree, and whilst I was at university I became an instructor in the cadets. I had no intentions or aspirations of army life at this stage, I just wanted to do some volunteering with young people and the cadets looked like a good youth organisation. This was 3 years ago and, although I appreciate it isn't the real army, I have become very interested in that side of things, especially when we go away on camps etc.

If I went to the careers office, as cadets is my only real 'experience', would this be laughed at by recruiters?

I would like to try as an officer, and there are a couple of roles at officer level that I am interested in. But if I didn't make it to the stages of the briefing or the actual board, is it possible to go in as a soldier and apply for a commission later? Even if it is different corps, e.g. from intelligence corps as a soldier to ETS Officer?

Sorry for the long message :)
  2. chimera

chimera LE Moderator

Check you PM for reply.

3. There are plenty of recruits whose only experience of the army is being a cadet until they join up; surely being CFAV shows some maturity and responsibility, so no, I doubt they'll laugh at you.

You want to apply for a commission from the start, as the selection process for potential officers differs from that for OR. Remember you don't make you final binding choice of corps/ regiment etc until you're at Sandhurst. Don't be nervous to wander along to the AFCO and ask.
  4. Thank you for the replies. Can anyone answer the question about if it is possible to join as e.g. a soldier in the intelligence corps and later apply for a commission to be an ETS Officer?
  5. Amy,

I am sure that at least 2 people I have worked with have later been commisioned in to the ETS, from the Ranks.
  6. chimera

chimera LE Moderator

Yes it is possible.
  7. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

We had a AI in our cadet company who was commisioned,(Joined as a Sgt AI with me)same situation as you,he then went on to be commisioned into the Regs. (Royal Irish I believe)
    Good luck anyway
  8. Thats really interesting that its been done before. Thanks for the info.

9. Hi Amy,
    It is very possible that it could be done, cos i have been there before, i also finished uni and i was looking at officer entry, not even thinking twice about the soldier route, but at the end of the day i flunked me officer entry and failed, so i had to go through the soldiering route, and i most say from all what i have read, i now know the difference between the two, where as before i didn't, i just though because i had a degree then i had to go through the officer route, not until i failed and i now took a closer route into the soldier entry, and i have never been more certain about anything as i am certain about doing this. but you have already seen what it is that attracts you to the officer route. and if that's what you want, you shouldn't think twice, you should focus on getting it and doing everything you can so you don't mess it up.

i went all the way to wesbury. and that was where it ended....
    so if you needed any info lemme know ayt...good luck by the way...

P/S sori bout the whole history...