Joining with criminal record

Unfortunately I recently acquired a criminal record for threatening to cause criminal damage and criminal damage.

I'm thinking of rejoining the TA in the next couple of months, would my conviction have any effect on my application?

Many thanks.

When I joined in the 80s a criminal record was extremely frowned upon. Many people werent permitted to apply to join if they had a criminal record. Given the large number of law abiding citizens applying to join the army, I would suggest you put the army out of your career choices, and perfect stealing things instead.

YOU THIEVING ****

We are about to engage the enemy, oh **** some **** has damaged our equipment, I bet it was done by some equipment damaging ****, that had prior in civvy street.

Pararegtom

LE
Book Reviewer
After Passing P coy, we were allowed record players in the block, one lad had Gilbert o Sullivan 45.s now thats a criminal record, Boom Tish,

I've had a bit of trouble with the police, and by the fact I'll be on selection by the end of next month, and by what my recruiter's told me, it doesn't seem to make an awful lot of difference. I've got a criminal damage in there somewhere too. BC, on your period is it?

Pararegtom

LE
Book Reviewer
Unfortunately I recently acquired a criminal record for threatening to cause criminal damage and criminal damage.

I'm thinking of rejoining the TA in the next couple of months, would my conviction have any effect on my application?

Many thanks.

A serious answer, ok you dont seem really commited as you got a CR for only threatening rather than doing, so are you threatening to join the TA or actually do it, or just a thought. x

I've had a bit of trouble with the police, and by the fact I'll be on selection by the end of next month, and by what my recruiter's told me, it doesn't seem to make an awful lot of difference. I've got a criminal damage in there somewhere too. BC, on your period is it?
Sound mate, thats a relief to hear. Was much said about your record when you declared it?

Wow!

No chance of a serious answer tonight?
Or any other night I should think dear.

In seriousness, I think it would depend on the severity of the crime and whether or not the conviction was spent. I definitely know some gents who were not choirboys before joining up - most have said at some stage or another that joining the Army was the making of them.

Best place to ask would be your local careers office. Good luck.

A serious answer, ok you dont seem really commited as you got a CR for only threatening rather than doing, so are you threatening to join the TA or actually do it, or just a thought. x
I thought I was pretty clear but I got done for threatening to cause criminal damage and then actually following through and doing it

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
I think its at the OCs discretion and down to what the psi tells him/her I had a criminal damage rap and they werent bothered especially when I told them what it was about.

again it was back in the 80's and it didnt seem to matter going by the others I met on my travels.

I suppose it depends on how desperate they are for numbers otherwise you might have to wait 5 years for it become spent by then its just the rape, ABH, GBH, receiving and possession with intent to supply convictions you need to worry about

Many thanks.
So long as you have no offences pending and you have no more than 2 unspent convictions you'll be eligible.
So, how many times have u been found guilty in court? The offence isn't relevant, the award / sentence is!!

Not a bat of an eyelid, they said they'd want to see my record but they didn't seem unduly bothered by it. Bear in mind though I'm only just 17 and was 16 at the start of my application, so if you're much more than 18 or 19 they'll probably take a dimmer view of it, all my dicking around (for that's what it was, no real serious offending, just minor public order stuff) was done while I was 14 to early 16, soI suppose they saw it as youthful foolishnes, but if you've done it as an adult they'll have been expecting more responsible behaviour.

So long as you have no offences pending and you have no more than 2 unspent convictions you'll be eligible.
So, how many times have u been found guilty in court? The offence isn't relevant, the award / sentence is!!
Twice! I was in court for both offences at the same time and I've only ever been arrested once before. Fine and community service was the punishment.

Twice! I was in court for both offences at the same time and I've only ever been arrested once before. Fine and community service was the punishment.
Right, so long as you have served your com service you will be ok. The fine will give you 5 years on the rehabilitation of offenders act (2.5 yrs if you were under 18 when convicted)

So as it stands, if you were convicted within the timeframe above you have 1 unspent conviction, after 5 or 2.5 years it becomes spent, you don't have to declare spent convictions to anybody unless it's a higher security job, or plod, int, medicine etc

You do have to declare the unspent though!! Won't be a drama at all though.