Joining with a trade

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by Matt84, Nov 11, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm a qualified plumebr and thinkin of join the army in the royal engineers as a plumber. Has any one else had experncies in taking your trade to the army. Thanks for any help

2. Obviously my 2p contribution to this topic does not bear any use. Though im thinking of (hopefully) intcorps, I'm more than tempted to do one of these free forklift truck courses before I go away on basic. Just for the craic, and because its free.

Then should someone like a movement controller challenge me to a dual, I can play my secret trump card.

3. yeah, why not get another trade because you'll just be sucking eggs for 2 yrs of your career?

why not get sparkying or painting etc so you can multi role on site?

4. Now if that had been directed at me, can you imagine the fun someone could have driving around and checking padlocks, and then painting them!

5. Hi,

I am brand spanking new to the forums, be gentle with me... or not.... whatever ;)....

So.... I have 3 A Levels in IT... I am 20 years old.. and I have served 2 years in IT Support, 1.5 years in first line (helpdesk) and more recently I have been on second line.

What would it be like working in IT in the Army, can anyone tell me? I would like to be deployed, as that would bring soem diversity to the job, surely.

Can any Signallers advise me what life is like, working in IT for the Army?

Thank you!

6. The best thing to do is to speak to someone at your local careers office. If I was you I'd try and get a different trade seeing as you are already qualified as a plumber. If you did something like electrician or chippy it would add another string to your bow when you eventually left

7. Matt

If you want to be a plumber stay as a plumber. The chances are you'll do more Combat Engineering anyway. You will, though, have to take a trade test at Chatham. Assuming you pass that you'll be awarded the trade qual and pay and won't have to bother with the course.

8. Join as a plumber, fly through your trade courses (without being too much of a gobshite, of course), come top, do a cadre and start picking up stripes.
    We had a civvy trained planty in our troop who ran rings around the planties, (and upset the scammell ops by unloading his altas off the side of their lowloader whenever possible), but he was a genuinely nice bloke, and people tended to respect his experience.

9. As I said to Matt the best thing to do is to speak to someone at your local careers office we have various IT jobs such as installation technicians and Information systems engineers which may suit you. Deployment is a fact of life these days for everyone especially in IT and Comms jobs.

10. Fair enough, thank you.