Joining whilst in education.

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by Crince, Oct 28, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hey ARRSE

I've been interested in joining the British Army for years, and I'm determined to join after I have finished my A Levels. I have been lurking this site for a few months now, particularly the Joining Up forum, and the general situation seems to be that after enlisting, you receive a selection date. Then, you go to selection and some months after that you go to basic training.

My question is, would it be possible for me to enlist into the army a year before I finish my A Levels, and therefore go straight from my 6th form to Selection? Or will my full time education prevent me from enlisting, and therefore would I have to enlist after finishing 6th form. and subsequently having to wait months after receiving my A Levels to do recruit Selection?

If it makes any difference, I'm hoping to join the Parachute Regiment as a Soldier.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  2. Ello mate, was in the same boat, had a year to do of my A levels, So i joined the TA for the meanwhile and now i have 6 months left i started the process for the regulars to join so i will join fairly soon as the whole process can take 6-8 months easily.
  3. You won't need no education for that, fella.
  4. No, but I don't plan on quitting something I've already started. Even if I did quit my school, imagine how bad it would look to the recruiting Sergeant if I told him I quit my courses. It would be a case of "can't hack a school, can't hack the Army"
  5. Thanks a lot.

6. Ive just started my A Levels, thought they were shit so now im dropping out and going into the coldstream guards.

If your in your second year, don't drop out and join as an officer!

For paras you don;t even need GCSE's!!!
  7. I've had a good look over the Parachute Regiment web page, and I'm going to book an Insight Weekend. Looks like fun.*

*I'm going to get beasted, aren't I? :eek:
  8. Only if your a gobby twat i guess! I don;t think they would beast you at the insight course because they are wanting you to join up, wait for basic mate..
  9. Being a Recruiter, it's in your best interest to stay in education and finish your A levels. Apart from coming handy later on in life it also shows us that you have shown some sort of commitment to what you are doing.

If, by finishing your A levels you manage to get at least 35 ALIS points from your GCSEs and 180 UCAS points from your A levels, why not apply to be an Officer. The average for Officers at Sandhurst is around 310 though.

By all means go to a careers office and explain about your A levels you can still go through the process of joining whilst at school - the earlier the better chance of you leaving and walking into a job. If you are interested in becoming an Officer the AFCO staff will put you in touch with your nearest Army Careers Advisor for Officers and they'll help you through the process.

Fluffer take note - stick with your A levels if you can, you might think it's not worth but it is in the long run - we'd rather someone with some intelligence and something to show for it than someone who dropped out (it doesn't look very good on your CV).
  10. msr

msr LE

And when you do leave the army, they may well be one of the things your future employer will look at.

11. Thanks a lot to everyone who posted. :D
  12. You can also get a grant of some sort, theres an army bursary scheme which gives you £1000 during your education and another £1000 when you join up. Something along the lines of that ring up the career office and ask them. They will be able to tell you much more and your less likely to get sh!t thrown your way.
  13. Yes you can get a Bursary if you are attending a course at an FE college - it's worth £1000 per year up to a maximum of £5K for a list of participating Colleges and courses follow this link

14. i = this
  15. yeah I'm not keen on this whole a-level thing and i just have not got the motivation for it and it hasn't got my full attention or focus so I'm thinking about leaving and to be honest I had never been expecting to be at school still anyway but I now have to talk with my teacher who i know will try and persuade me to stay so i'll have to wait and see what happens...