Joining whilst at University (131IndCdo)

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Reserve Recruitment' started by Joeman560, Jan 24, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. This is an email I sent to 300 Troop in Plymouth but I was waiting for a reply so I thought I'd post it here too.
    ____________________________________________________________________________________________

I am currently at University in Plymouth, outside of term times I live inbetween Bristol and Bath. I was wondering if I would still be able to join if I change location several times a year or if I could fit training into or around term times as I noticed that there were Troops at both Plymouth and Bath. Also, I read somewhere that this regiment was being disbanded in a few years. Is this true, or am I wrong?
    ____________________________________________________________________________________________

If anyone could help it would be appreciated :)

2. I'm sure someone will be along soon to give you some well intentioned advice.
    Do I hear popcorn?

3. I joined 383 Cdo Petrolum Troop while still at University (Well it was a Poly back then) just after it moved from Southampton to Plymouth, there were only 5 members of the troop not including the NRPS and the PSI back then. We were first based in Millbay TAC with 131 and there were several guys there from the Poly, I think that it was thought that being starving students we would turn up every week night and every weekend for both the pay and the food and being students would have more time to get our fitness up to required levels before the Cdo weekends starting in Hull and finishing with the two weeks at Lympstone doing the AACC(TA)
    I have to say that this was over 20 years ago so rules for both units might have changed.

4. Thanks for the reply.

Did you train at Milby? 'Cause I looked at it on google maps and it seems pretty small.

5. Remember this was 20 years ago and alot has changed. Millbay had a climbing/absailing wall outside and a single 30' rope, the nearest ropes for regains were Seaton Barracks (now demolished). I don't know if things have improved since then. Cdo training was undertaken over 6 weekends starting in Hull, then Sailsbury Plain (Field Ex), then Lympstone, then Sailsbury Plain (Field Ex), then Lympstone again, then Breacon Beacons (Field Ex ending with the 30 mile test, then your 2 weeks at Lympstone. The field Exs might have been elsewhere as I was in the back of a Land Rover trying to get some sleep.
    Best of luck.

6. 131 still exists and will continue to do so as far as I know. Not sure about changing locations. If you're going to do it then at uni is probably the best way!