Joining USMC as a Brit?

Discussion in 'US' started by C4564, Sep 16, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi guys, I have a civvy mate who keeps mentioning how much he'd love to join the US marines, because I'm in the British army he kind of expects that I should know how this is done, but it's something I know nothing about.
    I know it's different for us to move to Aus or NZ as they're commonwealth, the US however I'm a bit unsure.
    Ps, I think he likes idea more than the actual action.

Cheers in advance.

2. You have to be an American Citizen to be eligable.

3. That'll do for me then, thanks for the help.

4. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

Enlisted Requirements | Benefiting US Marines with military news on usmc.net[TABLE="class: oppstable, width: 96%"]
    [TR]
    [TD="width: 182, bgcolor: #dcdcdc"]Age [/TD]
    [TD="width: 388, bgcolor: #FFFFff, colspan: 2"]Must be between the ages of 17 and 35 years. If age 17, parents’ signed consent is required.[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR="bgcolor: #FFFFFF"]
    [/TR]
    [TD="width: 182, bgcolor: #dcdcdc"] Citizenship
    [/TD]
    [TD="width: 388, bgcolor: #FFFFff, colspan: 2"] Must be a U.S. citizen or have been legally admitted to the United States for permanent residence and possess immigration and naturalization documents. [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TD="width: 182, bgcolor: #dcdcdc"]Males: Physical Condition (Some military occupations have additional requirements.) [/TD]
    [TD="width: 388, bgcolor: #FFFFff, colspan: 2"]Height: 5’0″ to 6’8″
    Weight: 100 lb to 255 lb[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TD="width: 182, bgcolor: #dcdcdc"]Females: Physical Condition (Some military occupations have additional requirements.) [/TD]
    [TD="width: 388, bgcolor: #FFFFff, colspan: 2"] Height: 4’10″ to 6’8″
    Weight: 90 lb to 227 lb [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TD="width: 182, bgcolor: #dcdcdc"]Vision (in general) (Some military occupations have additional requirements.) [/TD]
    [TD="width: 388, bgcolor: #FFFFff, colspan: 2"]At least 20/400 or 20/200 vision corrected to 20/20 with eyeglasses or contact lenses. Depth perception and color blindness is also tested.[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TD="width: 182, bgcolor: #dcdcdc"]General Health[/TD]
    [TD="width: 388, bgcolor: #FFFFff, colspan: 2"]Must be able to pass a medical exam.[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TD="width: 182, bgcolor: #dcdcdc"]Education[/TD]
    [TD="width: 388, bgcolor: #FFFFff, colspan: 2"]High school is now a requirement in most enlisted occupations.[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TD="width: 182, bgcolor: #dcdcdc"]Aptitude[/TD]
    [TD="width: 388, bgcolor: #FFFFff, colspan: 2"]Must qualify for enlistment on the Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery (ASVAB) test.[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TD="width: 182, bgcolor: #dcdcdc"]Background Investigation[/TD]
    [TD="width: 388, bgcolor: #FFFFff, colspan: 2"]Background investigation must reveal that person is of strong moral character.[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TD="width: 182, bgcolor: #dcdcdc"]Marital Status and Dependents [/TD]
    [TD="width: 388, bgcolor: #FFFFff, colspan: 2"]May be either single or married, with or without dependents.[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

5. I've met a Brit in the service of the USMC...

Odd bloke. After his tour with the USMC he was goin gto join the Royal Marines. Anyway upshot of this is, one of his parents was a Spam, he may or may not have been born there also.

The pay is a bit poo in comparsion to the British forces and the conditions of day to day life aren't brill but on the other hand you have a great time.

6. I'd hate to meet the 6' 8'' 227 lb female Marine in a dark alley!

7. Nehustan

Nehustan On ROPs

Or a state citizen. Helps if you have a driving license to get around the rest of the U(I)SA.