Joining up

Discussion in 'Royal Signals' started by reelbf, Aug 19, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi,

I am 22 I have 3 GCSEs and a GNVQ in ICT I spend most of my time either playing around with computers or cycling. My fitness is increasing but I need a career so I want to join the army. I am 5 10 and weigh 84kg.

I'm not sure what career I want to do but I want to be in IT somewhere if I can. The job that was suggested to me by the guy at the army careers is an Information Systems Engineer is this a good choice? Also I have been reading about the pay system in the army and apparently there is a higher band and a lower band but how can I tell which is which?

Any help would be appreciated,
    Ben Jones
  2. Before I respond, just be aware there's loads of banter on this site, so don't be disillusioned if you get shot down in flames for merely asking about IT! For a young lad or lass who actually wants to pursue a career in IT within the Army then Information Systems Engineer is absolutely the right choice. The trade isn't for everybody - in the Army we are often jack-of-all-trades/master-of-none - but it's as close as you'll get to doing the range of IT jobs (start off doing sysadmin, PC repairs, small systems troubleshooting and so on while actually serving as a squaddie.

The reason I say that it's not for everyone is that we had a lad arrive in my Regiment in the last year and he was outraged to find that he wasn't going to be hacking Al Qaeda webpages, programming Skynet and meeting Bill Gates for coffee on day 1. Everyone starts from the bottom (fnarr fnarr) and that includes doing 'normal' squaddie stuff like sweeping garages, driving land rovers, doing guard duty, running about with guns and so on. Oh - and getting called 'geek' by people trying to wind you up :wink: C'est la vie!

I thoroughly recommend IS Engr as a trade, although you should be aware that the Royal Signals is realigning its technical trades at the moment so the next few years could be a confusing time.

PM me if you need advice on the range of jobs...and good luck!

3. Thanks for the response PD to be honest I expected to be flamed I've seen a few threads on this forum and I think arrse is a good name for it. I'm not afraid of starting at the bottom up until recently I've been working as a cleaner if I'm going to be doing housework at least it'll be on a good wage.

4. If you've been working as a cleaner, you'll do well as a Tom !
  5. You've been working as a cleaner?

You might have to lower your standards for Phase 1 training then!
  6. Haha! Dont I know it! I was working at an army base 5 days a week getting up at 5.30 in the morning and cycling 10 miles to work and then cleaning up the mess that the army guys make. I thought this is stupid I'm getting 4.20 an hour for this why dont I just join the army and make life easier for myself?

I really have no idea what I'm getting myself in for I enjoyed cycling in the rain (no rain gear) that was fun but that said I could use the showers afterwards. I did a 10 mile cycle race recently I put a solid effort in and then it decided to rain getting home was a job and a half but I found that if I just keep the legs moving and resist the temptation to free wheel I get home alot easier.
  7. Fcuk me go to college, go to University. Don't join the Army to do computers you'll learn fcuk all!

Making brews for SNCOs and cleaning up after then, talking nice to officers that are being d1cks to you and all you really want to do is tell the whole lot of them to ram it up their fu*king arrse!!!

You'll regret it, I know I did....
  8. Depends where you go and who manages (or fails to manage) you, surely?

I suspect you're in the wrong career. Regarding 'learning computers' as such - remember that we're always years behind the curve. Such is life. All you can do is try to aim for a posting where they have lots of gucci new equipment.
  9. hah , been to uni done two years of a computing course and it was a pile of shit .

learning what the power button does and what MS word is , was not my idea of a good !

thats why i am looking at IT in the army. just me two cents. but i thought it would be good to hear both sides reelbf
  10. Thanks for the input eul0gy i have done a few years in college i think its ok if you find the right course the problem i have now is im 22 and i havent got the money to finance college. im going in the army to make a career for myself but also because i need a job and apparently the army pays well to. my keyboard has died on me so im using a mouse to type this.