joining up

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by Matt44, May 2, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Anyone know out of the royal engineer jobs which ones have the longest and shortest waiting times or are they all about the same. Thanks for any response.
  2. It's better to have a bit more of a wait for a job you want to do than to train quickly to spend the next 22 years doing a 2nd or 3rd chioce job.

What do YOU want to do?
  3. Am looking at air craft technician, but unsure whether this was a long wait compare to doing one of the over trades.
  4. A few months waiting for a course is feck all compared to a whole career doing something you didn't want to do.

There's no point jumping on the first bus at the bus station if it's not going to where you want to go.
  5. ok yes I was looking at the postal courier job as it was on the most wanted, but dont thnk I could do it for 22 years
  6. Technicians come from the REME, more HERE.

If you want specific information on trades and waiting times you'll have to visit a Careers Office. Good luck.
  7. Like Gregg says, pop into your local ACIO and have a chat, grab some info then go back for another chat.

If it's a case of getting in the army as soon as possible then I think there is a chance of choosing a job, completing basic and applying to change your trade afterwards. (This would mean you will be waiting around in a holding platoon rather than being in civvies street possibly without a wage ;) )
  8. Thanks for the responses I am a plumber at the moment, but have heard these don't use there trade much in the royal engineers and don't fancy having to do the plumbing course again, That I did when I was 16. Thats why I'm looking at different trades.
  9. Also I need to put a second and third choice jobs down. How likley is it you won't get you first choie or will you as long as you do wel in the barb?
  10. If you already have a trade - why get trained to do it again?

Have a look at:

Marine Engineer - RLC
    Ammo Tech - RLC
    Armourer - REME
    Metalsmith - REME

Also, if you like doing all sorts of 'normal' soldiering and a trade;
  11. Would I not have to do phase 2 then if I went in with my trade? Will have a look at the jobs you have listed thanks
  12. IIRC - Engineers phase two is B3 Engineering. Further trade training; sparky, plumber, chippy, brick lobba, EOD, etc, etc, are after you've done a bit of time.
  13. For your references does your 1st one have to be your current employer, as I would prefer not to put this as with there been waiting lists to join I would prefer not to tel him till a month before when I hand my notice in (hopefully). As could imagine them begin off with me if they knew I was thinking about leaving. Thanks for any advice
  14. I didn't use my employer as one of my references for the exact same reason as yourself, just used two family friends instead. A note of caution, i'm applying for a commission but i imagine the process is not much different to enlisting.

Hope that helps.
  15. Thanks CC_TA , aircraft engineer appeals to me alot more then any of the other jobs. Is it likely I will get my first choice, I'm unsure on what to put down for second and third.