joining up with a criminal record

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by johnr, May 4, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi there,

Don't know whether I'm in the right place but here it goes.
    When I was 17 I was convicted of dealing drugs, something I'm not proud of but its on my record none the less...
    question I wanted to ask is can I still join the army?
    I am now 24 and the conviction is now spent, I have not been in any sort of trouble since and I am not the drug dealer my record suggests.
    Some people say as long as the conviction is spent then I will be able to join but some say anything to do with drugs is a lifetime ban from the army.
    Any advice will be of great help,
  2. Best bet, speak to the armed forces careers office, Half of the w@nkers on here know sod all.

3. I'd say speak to someone on the onine careers office on the army website for advice first, seeing as you were a minor at the time of conviction and the fact you've kept your nose clean for seven years i doubt there would be a problem with your application. Dont take my word for it though as obviously drug crimes are serious.
    I have a similar problem although my crimes werent drug related. Petty shoplifting and one major boo boo which landed me in the nick for six months.

These were all in my past so hopefully wont hinder my progress, i know alot of lads on here dont think ex cons should be let in the army at all, irespect the fact they need honest, trust worthy and loyal people to serve with but we all make mistakes and people change.

Good luck wth your application.

4. try looking at this thread, here!

5. Best bet is to get your bum down the AFCIO and lay your cards down on the table and tell them everything because it will bite you in the arse if you lie on your app or even bend the truth.
  6. I work in a Careers Office and I can assure you that if you was convicted when you was 17 the conviction last for 2.5 years, you are obliged to disclose any spent convictions especially of this nature. A 203 form will be sent by your recruiter alongside with your certificate of memorandum from the court in which you was convicted. The decision will be made by recruiting group as to weather you will be able to join.

Just out of curiosity which is your nearest Careers Office??? No requests that identify people please - Disco

Kind regards
  7. elovabloke

elovabloke LE Moderator

All the advice you need really.
  8. Forastero

Forastero LE Moderator

wil5924 you're boring the crap out of me so poke off and stay out of this thread.
  9. There's been a recent change, once your particular sentence is completely spent (which it appears to be) you are able to apply
  10. Isnt a conviction for DEALING OR SUPPLYING a complete bar from entry??? it was less than two years ago
  11. (3) Conviction for trafficking, supply or production of any class of drug is not acceptable and will be a permanent bar to enlistment.
  12. DM(A) was consulted about this from SO2 Sol Proc in November 09, and it was changed accordingly (sent to all AFCOs/ACIOs as an e-mail in Nov 09) not on OARBs.
    When the new RIs are on the web as a live document the update will be there, however, as of November 09 what Boots said is the rule.
    Any careers advisers reading this feel free to call you know who at Upavon or PM me.