Joining up soon

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by Aegrim, Feb 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ok so i'm hoping to join up very soon but regiments seem to confuse me a bit.

I'm from Sunderland and I'm under the impression that the Fusiliers are my local regiment (searching the internet, and it was the Fusiliers who would come visit the school whenever the Army was involved).
    But when i look at where they're stationed they don't seem to be anywhere near us except their TA regiment in Durham.

So the closest I can see is the 1 Lancs at Catterick, which is only an hours drive away.
    Now I know part of the army is disappearing off and becoming your own person, but I don't want to be too far from Family/girlfriend.

So where do I stand on getting myself somewhere close to home when I sign up? (hoping you guys will be more help than a potentially lying recruiter).
  2. Join the TA.
  3. Go 1 Lancs.

If you think the drive to Catterick is far, my mate in the RAF is based in the north of Scotland and drives down to Carlisle every weekend to see his Mrs.
  4. Most regiments recruit from certain areas of the UK, your local regiment may not neccasarily be based in that area though, infact they very rarely are, plus if you join 1 Lancs at Catterick, theres no certainty that they will be there for long, if you really don't want to be a few hours drive from your loved ones, then join your local TA establishment.

For instance my old regiment the Light Dragoons (RAC), recruit from the north east, Newcastle, Sunderland, Middlesbrough, and then Yorkshire, yet they are based in Norfolk near Norwich which is a 4 hour journey, which hundreds of the lads make every weekend, but thats how it works.
  5. What exactly do you mean by this? Change of location, or going on tour/operation (whatever you call it).

When I mean go far away from home I mean when in the country, tours and stuff is expected.
  6. "Joining Up Soon''
    Good luck with that mate ;)
  7. If your looking for a place near to home to work then go to McDonalds............As your Potentially Lying Recruiter would of told you Regiments move around all the time. You can either listen to his advice and get into the Army or continue with this CHAV like attitude with the comment above and go onto the dole....YOUR CHOICE
  8. I remember why I love you now :hug:
  9. Hey, everywhere I look there's comments about recruiters being economical with the truth to get you to join and do what they currently have a quota to fill or however it works.
    I just came here for some honest advice, there's no need to be a dick about it.

If they move around all the time, fine, all you had to say.
  10. Chin up princess, your bottom lip starting to quiver? You'll get worse abuse than that if/when you are in, and thats just from your mates!!
  11. Do your research. He took it personally, and I don't blame him.
    The last thing needed is someone being a fecking whining liability.
  12. fffffffffffffff
  13. Do you have a speech impediment?
  14. Think he gone had him one of them there heart attacks 8O
    I bagsy the missus.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.