Joining up late in life

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by bogbot, Jul 1, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ok, so to keep things pretty short my circumstances are as follows

I'm just about 28 now, have good GCSE's and an A level but no other formal qualifications, well except a Cat C driving license.

I have some financial commitments that would prevent me going full time for the next 2.5 years approximately

Good work is really tough to find and I've missed some good careers due to lack of qualifications or the fact that most jobs are heavily oversubscribed due to the recession

Have looked into the army before (when I was 21, wasted a recruiters time, did the barb and medical then lost interest because I was a young fool) and it's starting to make sense to me again, so...

How good a move will it be at age 31, to start at the very bottom and be way older than everyone else?

My other thoughts have been to get into a TA unit now and maybe transfer across to full time when my circumstances allow or go back and do an another A level which i think would make officer entry a possibility.

Just your general thoughts before I waste a recruiters time

Edit - just realised I'd be too old for officer entry either way.

2. Well you already know you will probably be the oldest at basic training so there will be no suprises there.

If its something you really want to do then go for it.

A mate of mine who I am going to basic with is 27.

3. Do it mate - either way round and the best of luck to ya!

4. I'm 28 joining in September with the royal engineers and I know of one lad that's 29 and another that's 32 so you will be ok

5. I was 19 at the time Of my basic training with a guy that was 33 O_O ... So it goes to show :D !

6. Go for it, you have nothing to lose if it's what you want in life. My fella's just been through basic at 27, and he wasn't the oldest there. Even if you are, just give the young 'uns a run for their money!

7. Dont worry about it buddy im 29 and start basic october and i turn 30 3 days after my start date!!

8. I'll try, I've realistically got one crack at it and don't want to be made look like a prat by a 18 year old!

My biggest problem for most of my youth was not knowing what to do with myself and then making cack decisions. I know if I don't jump ASAP i'll regret it. Thankfully Mrs bogbot is understanding and knows potentially what I'm letting us in for 8)

9. im 33 in march,start basic this november,age is no issue,wasnt the quickest in selection,but there was alot more behind me than infront!

10. If it's 2.5 years off it could well be worth you going TA in the meantime to see if it's quite what you want. Clearly TA is not the same as Regs but it gives you some idea.

11. just go for it mate, theres a few lads in our platoon approaching thier 30's and a rifles platoon in our block is full of lads late 20's early 30's.

12. I reckon it's and advantage being a bit older, more life experience etc. I'm sure you get a good mix though, lads that are 17-18 some in there early 20's and lads that are late 20's early 30's.

13. What? Like getting shagged by half the unit while you are away? :twisted:

Seriously a little extra maturity can help when a cool head is needed and you can help the sprogs through the hard bits in basic. You will always regret it if you don't give it a shot, so go for it and good luck.

What Corps/Regt by the way?

14. At the moment I'm still pretty clueless as to what I actually want to do. I guess I have plenty of time to think about it!