joining up in a while but need to get fitness sorted

Discussion in 'The Training Wing' started by jamuson, Dec 20, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. im joining the TA in a few months and my fitness right now has gone downhill, my friend in the TA is going to get my fitness up but what would be the best thing to do to get my strengh up, i work in a crap job were im sat down all the time and not alot of movement involved, and the hours right now are shit because of the season, but should i do weights or just practice push ups? and after the new yr im gunna go to a gym and start training, but want to find out if theirs anything i cn do to help here or just make it a little easier on my training. thanks
  2. Start running.
  3. keep running
  4. Excercise when and where you can until you can outrun your stab friend
  5. And when you're too tired to run any further, you're not. You're just being weak. Re-commence running.
  6. Then run some more
  7. msr

msr LE

8. body weight exercises.
    hill-walking for hours on end
    the above carrying a load.

don't give up, buy a stopwatch and try to improve your times every time you go out.
  9. You don't need a gym. Period.

What you need is press-ups, sit-ups and running. If you want to, you can use some dumbells. Buy some and search the internet for exercises. There's some good help on youtube.

Just don't overdo yourself! You can easily become fanatic and push your body beond what is healthy! The last thing you want is runnersnkee, cracking shoulders and a knackered back.

Having said that: Get in there and keep on kicking!
  10. ok, i used to do running alot anyway so i will do that, and just do push ups and sit ups, my friends dad owns a gym so i may start using that if i have the time as well
  11. plenty of preperation and training before hand, you don't wana pick up any injuries do you...

best of luck
  12. what weight should i fill my bergen when i go running? because im going in as light infantry? also what time would i need to complete my mile and a half in to qualify? because i will be running 3 days a week my mile and a half trying to improve my time and making sure i dont stop running so i dont **** up and fail
  13. Someones will give you 'the' time, but it doesn't mean thats what ur aiming for, your aiming for your VERY BEST each and every time. Don't just do 1 1/2 mile either, I treat my first 1 1/2 mile as a warm up. Go in with a great time and get noticed...