Joining up from the Republic

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by Rutts, Jul 25, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi, I recently turned 18 and finished school last month and was wondering are there any extra hurdles I have to jump through if I want to join as an Irish citizen living in Ireland? Thanks.

P.S. I searched and couldn't find any recent info.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

2. No.im joining from the south aswell.everything is the same process as England.You just have to drive up north to do your interviews,selection etc

3. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

You'll have to pass a security vetting too.

4. What does the security vetting entail?

5. Join your own army.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Bullshit Bullshit x 1
  6. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

That would be telling. But if CIRA/RIRA or any of that ilk float your boat don't expect to be donning PCS anytime soon.

7. Oh that's grand, lots of history in the army in my family. No IRA lark.

8. joining from ireland is easy enough. im only at final interview stage btw

9. its near impossible to get into the irish army at the moment

10. No it's not we are just recruiting smaller numbers (same as the British Army), have a smaller army (same as the British Army) and have high demand (same as most jobs in Ireland).

11. only 3 people got taken into the irish airforce last year...

12. 10,000 people applied for the Irish Army (Defense Force) last June, and 600 people got places. They're recruiting again soon but only for the people got are on the panel, waiting list of succesfull candidates who didn't get into training but passed all phases, and there's about 300 of them. So they arent even taking applicants, the army is a joke. It's a boys club for who knows who and then you're in.

13. Good luck to you pal. What unit do you fancy?

14. Yep, sounds like pretty impossible odds. Join the Brits - you'll have a great time (even with the Army changes coming).

Everyone joining the Army fills out various forms about their background. From your perspective the extra security check means you'll need to fill in an extra one with details on your overseas contacts, family etc. No big deal really.

Good luck with your application.

15. I assume you mean the Irish Air Corps. There may have been 3 cadets!

With you on everything expect the last 2 sentences