ARRSE is supported by the advertisements on it, so if you use an adblocker please consider helping us by starting an Ad-Free subscription.

Joining up from South Africa

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by NickMck, Feb 8, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi guys,

No doubt there have probably been a few threads regarding SA's joining up but I please need advice from any South Africans currently serving or who is also applying to join the British Army. I have been on the British Army website and have read the notes for commonwealth applicants, the AFCO 5, etc. but I am still uncertain about a few things and I'm going to bullet them if you don't mind. Please note that I do not have a British passport or an Ancestry Visa, I need to try to get to the UK on my own funds and sustain a living until I become accpeted for training.
    • What sort of visa would be my best option to travel on? (They have stopped the 1 year working/Holiday visa for South Africans now so the only option I saw was a 6 month general visitor but you cannot get work on that one and I would need to sustain myself until my application in the UK army, once I'm there, is completed)
    • I know this question is sort of explained in the Notes for commonwealth applicants, but I would like to now from an actual person that has been recruited on how long the application took and what sort of average time i could expect to wait? I am looking at joining the Rifles.
    • What tips are there to getting your application approved and completed quicker?
    • Would it be wise to approach an agency to arrange a job, visa & accomadation for me? Or would I be signing a contract through the agency that would bind me to whom ever they find a job for me with making army recruitment impossible?
    I do know people that I might be able to stay with for 1 or 2 weeks once I am there but there after I will have to find my own accomadation until my recruitment is completed and having limited funds it could pose a problem because without a national insurance number I cannot be employed therefore also making it hard to sustain myself for a full 6 months. Are there possibly any loop holes to this? Can I not work in a pub or something, cash in hand, to help me? Also, would a 6 month Visa be enough time?

I have been on Gumtree.co.uk and had a look at accomadation options there so I am sure I can find something to rent there. Any advice and tips would really be much appreciated!

Joining the army would really be a dream come true for me and I want this so badly! I just wish the process of getting to the UK were a bit easier!

Kind Regards,

Your right, there are plenty of threads about joining for overseas, why dont you read them or better still, read them and contribute! - Disco

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.