Joining up,Did you ever think about??

Reading all the comments on various boards about servicemen & women going off to war & dying for their country,miss spike asked me if I ever thought I would possibly have to give my life for Queen & Country.
After much thought,I came to the conclusion that I never gave it much thought if at all any.It was a risk of the job.
And on reflection,I dont think it even affected my desision to join up.
So,the question is,did you ever think about having to lay down your life beore you joined up & do you ever think about it.
It might sound like a morbid or stupid topic,but I think it'll help miss spike understand why we risk all for Queen & Country,which she can understand, and also a govenment that could'nt give two hoots about us.
Thanks,
Spike

spike7451 said:
did you ever think about having to lay down your life beore you joined up & do you ever think about it.
No then and no know, just get on with the job

Do you ever think about how many people die in Road Traffic Accidents every year when you get in the car?
Believe it`s called acceptable risks

The_Kurgen said:
Do you ever think about how many people die in Road Traffic Accidents every year when you get in the car?
And once again, no :D

Only after I'd be shot at the 2nd time did I think it was a teenie weenie bit dodgy. But, no, even after those times, still went on. Having said that, this was back in the days when NI was the major problem. What serving lads (and girlies) have to put up with now far exceeds anyting I went through. Its all about the time and the place I suppose.

The first time i was handed an SLR in training it occurred to me that someone might take offence but that was pretty much it, after that it was just an occupational hazard and as long as my "mates" were going so was i.

No thoughts of imminent or unavoidably life threatening occurances when I joined up, however my training team only had three gongs between them.

My realistic approach to risk assessment came with jobs in less developed countries, the lack of driving ability and "In shallah" attitudes
Prevalent in all areas

toodlepip

Ive thought about it and accepted the fact, but like many of you have said its part of the job.TBH i dont think we can really come to terms with death until its staring us in the face or looking at us down the barrel of a gun.

I joined Junior Bleeders while the Falklands conflict was in full swing, fully expecting/wanting to go. Nobody told me that at 16 I was too young and the instructors did a great job of keeping that fact from us - it certainly focused the mind during training.

floppyjocky said:
I joined Junior Bleeders while the Falklands conflict was in full swing, fully expecting/wanting to go. Nobody told me that at 16 I was too young and the instructors did a great job of keeping that fact from us - it certainly focused the mind during training.
The 1833 conflict or the 1982 conflict??

(Touche ;))

The recruiting team that visited my School back in 1975 did'nt mention it, though my dad did. It was the first time I held an SLR, love at first sight. I have had my moments but you take the shilling you take the risk.

Got to admit, when I joined I didnt really think about it.

In the last 18 or so years and having been on the wrong side of incoming rounds, it has crossed my mind, but, sad as it sounds, its something you kinda come to terms with. Not saying that I wasnt scared, its just you knuckle down and do what's needed.

As I said to me mum once, when I get deployed I get weapons, kevlar and bullets. If I feel threatened I can (hopefully) deal with it. Back in the UK I have nothing and can be hurt/killed by any drunk or high freakoid.

Which is safer :?

When i joined i didnt really think about it, cos my dad was in as well. When he got killed by an old man in a beemer, whilst cycling back to camp to get changed and go home for his tea, it got me thinking that, imo, the best way for a soldier (or ex soldier) to die is not by some drunk or high freak, but doing what they love.

That said, in Iraq watching mates get shot and injured, and more recently watching the news and hearing about mates getting shot dead, really does hit home.

But another day another dollar/pound/euro/dinar*

*delete as applicable.

Alsacien

MIA
spike7451 said:
So,the question is,did you ever think about having to lay down your life beore you joined up & do you ever think about it.
Spike
Absolutely. At 18 I believed I was indestructable anyway.

I also thought the danger factor would impress the hell out of my civvy mates and hopefully the combination of uniform/medals/war stories would lead to lots of s@x.
Unfortunately uniform off duty was not allowed (IRA), medals were thin on the ground in the 80's, and my best war story was avoiding getting my head kicked in by the Black Watch in Catterick.........

Alsacien said:
and my best war story was avoiding getting my head kicked in by the Black Watch in Catterick.........
lol, thats still beats mine! Impressive feat :)

for Queen and Country, and not a second thought, until returned fire....
no regrets and would do it all again ( well most of it anyway )
WW

I didn't at 17 but my old man did. Used to hammer it down my neck as he is ex blade & was in Malaya & Oman. Didn't want me to join line inf at all, wouldn't sign my papers for ages.

I joined in 83 & even the the footage of the Sir Galahad attack at Bluff Cove the year before didn't put me off despite my Dad saying, 'look, thats what its all about. Thats what happens to the lads.'

First time the boyos started dinging rounds off at us over the water was when i thought, 'ah, hmmmmmmm.......oh well', but you are well trained & just get on with it. Goes with the job, always happens to someone else anyway.

Pete