Joining up,Did you ever think about??

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by spike7451, Dec 6, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

Reading all the comments on various boards about servicemen & women going off to war & dying for their country,miss spike asked me if I ever thought I would possibly have to give my life for Queen & Country.
    After much thought,I came to the conclusion that I never gave it much thought if at all any.It was a risk of the job.
    And on reflection,I dont think it even affected my desision to join up.
    So,the question is,did you ever think about having to lay down your life beore you joined up & do you ever think about it.
    It might sound like a morbid or stupid topic,but I think it'll help miss spike understand why we risk all for Queen & Country,which she can understand, and also a govenment that could'nt give two hoots about us.
    Thanks,
    Spike

2. No then and no know, just get on with the job

3. Do you ever think about how many people die in Road Traffic Accidents every year when you get in the car?
    Believe it`s called acceptable risks

4. And once again, no :D

5. Only after I'd be shot at the 2nd time did I think it was a teenie weenie bit dodgy. But, no, even after those times, still went on. Having said that, this was back in the days when NI was the major problem. What serving lads (and girlies) have to put up with now far exceeds anyting I went through. Its all about the time and the place I suppose.

6. The first time i was handed an SLR in training it occurred to me that someone might take offence but that was pretty much it, after that it was just an occupational hazard and as long as my "mates" were going so was i.

7. Snap

8. No thoughts of imminent or unavoidably life threatening occurances when I joined up, however my training team only had three gongs between them.

My realistic approach to risk assessment came with jobs in less developed countries, the lack of driving ability and "In shallah" attitudes
    Prevalent in all areas

toodlepip

9. Ive thought about it and accepted the fact, but like many of you have said its part of the job.TBH i dont think we can really come to terms with death until its staring us in the face or looking at us down the barrel of a gun.

10. I joined Junior Bleeders while the Falklands conflict was in full swing, fully expecting/wanting to go. Nobody told me that at 16 I was too young and the instructors did a great job of keeping that fact from us - it certainly focused the mind during training.

11. The 1833 conflict or the 1982 conflict??

(Touche ;))

12. thought about it. wasn't bothered. never got sent anywhere

13. The recruiting team that visited my School back in 1975 did'nt mention it, though my dad did. It was the first time I held an SLR, love at first sight. I have had my moments but you take the shilling you take the risk.

14. Got to admit, when I joined I didnt really think about it.

In the last 18 or so years and having been on the wrong side of incoming rounds, it has crossed my mind, but, sad as it sounds, its something you kinda come to terms with. Not saying that I wasnt scared, its just you knuckle down and do what's needed.

As I said to me mum once, when I get deployed I get weapons, kevlar and bullets. If I feel threatened I can (hopefully) deal with it. Back in the UK I have nothing and can be hurt/killed by any drunk or high freakoid.

Which is safer :?