joining up criminal record

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Reserve Recruitment' started by roughdaddymacca, May 21, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. i believe one of the many thing that exclude u from joining is a criminal record, what type of things are passed and what are not?

the issue for me which im worried about is that when i was 19 (im now thirty) i got in trouble with the police by getting too drunk one night and smashing a window in a door of a business with another lad who took a telephone which resulted in us being charged with a burglary non dwelling, i recieved a fine and commuinty service which was completed and have not been in trouble since i think the event was back in 99.

with the conviction being spent for somany years would this bar me from joining up? i dead set on joing but im chewing my fingers that something i did years ago will come back to bite me on my arse

any ideas or advice
  2. msr

msr LE

3. thats what i was hoping

with it being so long ago and it being spent i think i am within my rights not to disclose it, im just worried about if i complete my selction , have attestation then after finishing training, being hauld into a room about me not disclosing it n getting booted out,,, im hoping to join the engineers and be in the front combat
  4. Disclose it, the army has an exemption (if thats the right word) under the rehabilitation of offenders act, where all convictions even those considered spent must be disclosed. Be honest with your recruiter, hiding things can come back to haunt you and can lead to you being discharged.
  5. do you think that this charge would barr me?

in your own opinion?
  6. msr

msr LE

The best people to answer that are the unit you are joining.

Tell them up front. If it does then tough.

If you don't tell them, they will find out and you will be binned very fast.

7. taken on board

8. you should google it
  9. mate im nearly possitve that these charges (as been spent) will not have any affect on you joining but i must say that even tho they only do background checks on 10% of new recruits that if they were to check and you had not writtn them down would be very bad for you as lying does not go down well!