Joining up as TA officer

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by BBear, Feb 20, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. BBear

BBear LE Reviewer

I've been toying with the idea of joining the TA for a while. I broke my hand and it's only recently healed (as in I can do push ups/pull ups now, rather than struggling to open a door a month ago) hence why I haven't done it any sooner.

My local combat unit, for that is what I wish to join, is E Coy RGJ.

Basically, is it a bit off to ring them tomorrow and ask if i can come up? I'm very keen to get going on this, but I don't want to start off my career by being an inconvieniance to the people I hope to work with...

Also, i'm going to try to book my RCB date tomorrow. I've done pre-rcb and am sorted for the main board. But from the Army website it seem's that if I want to be an officer then I have to pass the TCB before I begin training. I'm keen on just getting started, should I go for being a private soldier and try to change to an officer if I pass my RCB? Or would they let me start whilst the RCB is in the pipeline?

Just interested in what actual TA people, such as your goodselves, would say.

2. Join now - maximise your options. RCB date is a bonus not a hindrance.

3. BBear

BBear LE Reviewer

Superb! I had a feeling you'd be one of the first to reply.

Phone call being made in morning.

4. Have felt the same and been there and done it....took me 12 months from start to finish and loved every moment. Had Abacus to hand and a few other Arrse friends. Go for it..... U like it....Great U don't, no shame Getting started is half the battle, sat for too long wondering if i should.

Ad astra per aspera - A rough road leads to the stars

5. BBear

BBear LE Reviewer

Cool!

Something just occured to me. I'm starting Uni in september, what problems may arise if i need to transfer unit? There's another inf (and a SAS!) unit up where I'm going if that helps.

6. msr

msr LE

None at all, it should be easy to transfer units.

msr

7. You going to Manchester?

8. i have an place at uni, does this now mean i can trian for officer rather then stay as a pte?

9. msr

msr LE

It's your choice. If you wish to train as an officer, you will have to pass TAMB.

msr

10. what is tamb?

11. TA Main Board - TA RCB equivalent

12. I have just rejoined 202bty RA(V) based in East Anglia.

When I was in before, I was a gunner but this time I have applied for officer training. Our Bty have several OC's (officer Cadets) at different stages on the way to the TCB. My BC said it will take at least 2 years before you would go to Sandhurst, providing you pass the TCB.

You still have to complete your CMSR, and then the continuation training till your a qualified soldier, then there other course you must pass before doing th TCB pre course then the TCB before Sandhurst. You will be in for a long haul.

Give it a go, its worth a shot.

13. In theory this year's DETAPO course will be ready to go to Sandhurst in September, unlikely but possible. That's 11 months.

14. BBear

BBear LE Reviewer

No not mancland, Birmingham. Although Manchester is a good crack, it's english course didn't strike me as well as Birminghams. And despite the curry mile Birmingham do better kebabs. :D

Why are you up Manchester way?

15. Problem for me is 202bty is changing roles as of April. We won't even be RA any more, so all my courses etc planned for this year are more than likely to go out the window. :cry: